[comp.sys.hp] MUSH on HP9000/350

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (04/21/89)

In article <5318@cs.utexas.edu> merworth@cs.utexas.edu (Boyd Merworth) writes:
>I am experiencing a file locking failure using MUSH on an HP9000/350
>running HPUX 6.0.  I have built MUSH with the following defines:
>
>	-DSYSV -DCURSES -DREGCMP -DUSG -DDOT_LOCK -DHOMEMAIL
>
>When running over NFS and using MUSH on new mail, after reading and
>typing "q" to quit the mailer, the home mailbox file has shrunk and
>MUSH reinitializes, destroying the contents of the home mailbox.
>
>Has anyone ported MUSH successfully to an HP9000/350 running NFS and
>would be willing to share what they have done?

File locking across NFS does not work on any version of HP-UX before
6.5/3.1.  You need a lock manager to do NFS file locking, and the
previous versions didn't have it.

On the same note: glad to see HP has finally got a NFS file lock
manager, but when will HP have a network licence manager?  Maybe
Apollo's?

regards,
fletcher
Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred@bbn.com