[comp.sys.hp] port/VX utility on HP-UX

te@rhi.hi.is (Tryggvi Edwald) (04/11/89)

I work for a small company that has written a large (or, at least, complicated)
Fortran/VMS application program (a Telex/Fax system) for the DEC VAX.  There
has been considerable interest in porting this program suite to a wider audi-
ence, HP-UX environment in particular.  The presence of a large number of
lib$- and sys$- things and such from the VMS, plus some really perverse
machine dependencies in the code, that port will prove really difficult (when
will people learn to use standard coding techniques?).  Recently I heard about
the Port/VX utility (perhaps the name is misspelled), designed as a "Vax-
killer", that makes it easier to do precisely what we need.

I would be most interested in learning more about this utility, its availabili-
ty, cost of use, and if there is enough experience around, some evaluation of
the usefulness of this program.  Does it really work?

Sincere thanks to anyone that cares to comment.

Tryggvi Edwald, Vistfang hf. Skeifan 17, 108 Reykjavik Iceland
                Telephone +354-1-687230
                Fax       +354-1-82702
                email     te@rhi.hi.is

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) (04/12/89)

In article <852@krafla.rhi.hi.is>, te@rhi.hi.is (Tryggvi Edwald) writes:
> [verbage deleted]
> [wanting to know about PORT-VAX

While I have no experience with the VAX port utilities, I do have extensive
experience with PORT-UX, which is the package for porting HP1000 code to
HP-UX.  If they did as good a job with the VAX package as they did with the
HP1000 package, you should have few problems.  The biggest problem we had,
and realisticly we caused it ourselves, was the lack of emulation of several
system calls.  Like most things in life, they (HP) did an admirable job of
writing emulation routines for most of the HP1000 calls, but not all.  And of
course, had we written more portable code, we would not have run across this
problem.  We have since moved all of our code to native mode UNIX and found the
PORT package a great intermidiate step.

Art Gentry
standard disclaimer - opinions my own, etc....

markbes@hpsemc.HP.COM (Mark Beswetherick) (04/21/89)

The Port/VX product is a set of tools to help migrate VMS Fortran
applications to HP-UX.  It currently works only on the Series 800 (HP
Precision Architecture), not the Series 300 (680x0 based). Port/VX was
introduced in January, 1989, in the U.S.  I am not sure what its
availability is in Iceland - your local HP sales people can tell you.
The components of the product are:

o  Fortran Code Anaylzer (FCA) - scans Fortran source code and
   flags both Fortran incompatibilities and VMS run-time calls,
   and indicates whether the incompatibilities are dealt with
   automatically by the other tools or must be handled manually.

o  Fortran Code Translator (FCT) - converts VMS Fortran extensions
   to syntax acceptable to HP-UX Fortran.  (note also that many of
   VMS Fortran extensions are already part of HP-UX Fortran - FCT
   just deals with the VMS'isms not yet in the compiler).

o  Migration library - emulates some of the commonly used VMS
   run-time calls.  Of the 600+ VMS run-time calls, we currently
   emulate a little over 100, but we tried to pick the most
   commonly used ones.

o  File transfer utility - allows you to read VMS BACKUP tapes
   onto HP-UX.

o  Data translator - converts VMS floating point data, reorders
   bytes, and handles some Fortran record types.

o  Consulting - 5 days of consulting from an HP systems engineer
   is bundled as part of the product.

The consulting is an important part of the product.  Migration can
be potentially difficult, especially between VMS and HP-UX, where
there are many language, O/S and architecture differences.  The
consulting can help determine whether it makes sense to use the tools
or whether there are so many issues that you are facing a total rewrite.

You mention that there are lots of nasty machine dependencies in the
code - Port/VX probably won't help you with these.  Also you mention
lots of runtime library calls (sys$, lib$).  We do emulate some of
these, but certainly not all.  Also, if performance of the run-time
libraries is critical, be aware that some of the emulations are slower
than on VMS, as they are implemented at the user level, not kernel
level.

But, Port/VX has helped a number of customers.  It is especially
effective for handling the Fortran conversion parts, which can be
really time-consuming if done manually.

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) (04/22/89)

In article <1250032@hpsemc.HP.COM>, markbes@hpsemc.HP.COM (Mark Beswetherick) writes:
> o  Fortran Code Translator (FCT) - converts VMS Fortran extensions
>    to syntax acceptable to HP-UX Fortran.  (note also that many of
>    VMS Fortran extensions are already part of HP-UX Fortran - FCT
>    just deals with the VMS'isms not yet in the compiler).

Does anybody know if HP plans to add the structure/record data types
from DEC FORTRAN?  Many of our programs use this, slowing the porting
of code down.  In addition, several of my users have complained that
FORTRAN does not give a nice stack dump when aborting, like the VAX
does, showing subroutine and line number information.  They just don't
think a core dump is very useful, and I must agree.  Any chances of these
being put in?

I still maintain that the major hinderance to unplugging DEC machines
and putting in HPs is the lack of support for LAT (DEC) terminal
servers and DECnet...

Tony Burzio               * I want my twm!
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *

mike@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mike McNelly) (04/24/89)

> Does anybody know if HP plans to add the structure/record data types
> from DEC FORTRAN?  Many of our programs use this, slowing the porting
> of code down.  In addition, several of my users have complained that
> FORTRAN does not give a nice stack dump when aborting, like the VAX
> does, showing subroutine and line number information.  They just don't
> think a core dump is very useful, and I must agree.  Any chances of these
> being put in?

Structure/data types are available on Series 300 FORTRAN as of the 6.5
release. They will be available on Series 800 FORTRAN on the 7.0 release.

You might check the HP-UX Portability Guide for HP 9000 Series 300/800
Computers (HP Part number 98794-90046). It has a chapter devoted to
FORTRAN compatibility between VMS FORTRAN and HP-UX machines.

Mike McNelly
mike%hpfcla@hplabs.hp.com