[comp.sys.hp] HP buys Apollo

danny@idacom.UUCP (Danny Wilson) (04/21/89)

Recently, a lot has been said in comp.sys.apollo about
HP buying Apollo computer.

What are the impressions and feelings of those hp workstation
owners reading comp.sys.hp?

What has HP said (if anything) about this change to you guys
and does it delight or disturb you?

--
Danny Wilson
IDACOM Electronics		danny@idacom.uucp

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) (04/22/89)

In article <623@idacom.UUCP>, danny@idacom.UUCP (Danny Wilson) writes:
> What are the impressions and feelings of those hp workstation
> owners reading comp.sys.hp?

If HP takes the nifty Apollo network code and ports it to HP-UX, it'll
be great.  I get the impression, however, that the HP rank&file are
still in shock, happily calling Apollo salesreps for product information
brochures to see what they can latch on to :-)

> What has HP said (if anything) about this change to you guys
> and does it delight or disturb you?

If HP can take over Apollo sales/maintenance, we'd be very happy.
Once the Apollo code is ported, however, I can't see HP continuing
to produce Apollo architecture, since this would be unnecessarily
confusing.  Perhaps HP can make the noisy little disk drive in the
Apollo cabinet quieter...

Tony Burzio               * If HP bought Apple,
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net * they'd drop the lawsuit :-)

jima@hplsla.HP.COM (Jim Adcock) (04/25/89)

As one could expect, HP people have been asked not to
comment prior to regulatory approval.