[comp.sys.hp] hp9000 and nfs

aho@cory.Berkeley.EDU (alex ho) (04/15/89)

does anyone know if it is possible to run nfs on
a hp9000 workstation running bsd 4.3? does a version
exist? thanks.

alex

Alex Ho
University of California, Berkeley       aho@cory.berkeley.edu
                                         ...ucbvax!cory!aho

kevinj@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Kevin Jackson) (04/17/89)

In article <12452@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> aho@cory.Berkeley.EDU (alex ho) writes:
>does anyone know if it is possible to run nfs on
>a hp9000 workstation running bsd 4.3? does a version
>exist? thanks.
>
>Alex Ho
>University of California, Berkeley       aho@cory.berkeley.edu

Yes.  The University of Utah has had software for hp9000's for quite some time.
In their current release, nfs is supported, as well as X10 and X11.

kevinj
Kevin Jackson				kevinj@boulder.colorado.edu

rclark@speclab.bgp-usgs.gov (Roger N. Clark) (04/21/89)

> Yes. The University of Utah has had software for hp9000's for quite some time.
> In their current release, nfs is supported, as well as X10 and X11.

As I recall, don't they have a version for the HP9000s500?  Does the s500
version have X11 and nfs?  If so my 500 has a new life!!!!!!

Roger N. Clark
..!speclab!rclark

mjb%hoosier.utah.edu@wasatch.utah.edu (Mark J. Bradakis) (05/04/89)

In article <210009@speclab.bgp-usgs.gov> rclark@speclab.bgp-usgs.gov (Roger N. Clark) writes:

>As I recall, don't they have a version for the HP9000s500?  Does the s500
>version have X11 and nfs?  If so my 500 has a new life!!!!!!

I hate to say this, but there is no 500 port of bsd and NFS of which I know.
Someday there may be an 800 port, though.

mjb.

mjb@hoosier.utah.edu

"I laid a retread to my feet, and prayed for better weather"

dunlap@apl-em.UUCP (John Dunlap) (05/05/89)

Sure would be nice to have NFS on the 500s.
X would be even better.
Here's hoping it's not a rumor!

John Dunlap

hpubvwa!apl-em!dunlap
dunlap@uw-apl.apl.washington.edu

rer@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Rob Robason) (05/10/89)

> >As I recall, don't they have a version for the HP9000s500?  Does the s500
> >version have X11 and nfs?  If so my 500 has a new life!!!!!!

Sorry, no good news for you w.r.t. NFS not X11, but...

> I hate to say this, but there is no 500 port of bsd and NFS of which I know.
> Someday there may be an 800 port, though.

This is misleading:  Wollongong has a *BSD services* port (not BSD port)
for the 500 (ftp, rlogin, etc) contact Wollongong to see if they support
NFS.  HP itself already supports these services on the 800.

Rob Robason

p.s.  There is a nice trade-in program to upgrade a 500 to an 800.  Most
if not all of your existing peripherals would probably still be
supported.

This posting is not a commitment by HP, contact your HP Sales
Representative for upgrade information.