[comp.sys.hp] Starting SoftPC and MS DOS on HP-UX

bonham@dinl.uucp (margaret bonham) (05/09/89)

We've recently acquired an HP 9000 series 300 which runs 6.5 (?)
HP-UX.  Supposedly this system has SoftPC and MS DOS available.  We
did not receive all the manuals we were supposed to.  How do I start
these?

On another note, I have had a series of very bad crashes with this
system -- usually while using X11 windows.  I apologize if this has
already been discussed, but is this a common occurrance?  How can I
make this system more reliable?

Thanks

Margaret

  Devastating!  Why this could kill millions!  -- Trelane, The Squire
                                                  of Gothos
  Margaret Bonham                                   !ncar!dinl!bonham
       Disclaimer:  I don't actually BELIEVE in this stuff.

rocky@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Rocky Craig) (05/11/89)

> We've recently acquired an HP 9000 series 300 which runs 6.5 (?)
> HP-UX.  Supposedly this system has SoftPC and MS DOS available.  We
> did not receive all the manuals we were supposed to.  How do I start
> these?

SoftPC on the Series 300 must be ordered as a separate product.  You need
HP 98870A (media and manuals) and HP 98870L (License to use).  This product
is not supported on the Model 310.

There are also versions available for the 800 product line.

Rocky Craig
Hewlett-Packard

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) (05/11/89)

In article <1013@dinl.mmc.UUCP>, bonham@dinl.uucp (margaret bonham) writes:

> We've recently acquired an HP 9000 series 300 which runs 6.5 (?)
> HP-UX.  Supposedly this system has SoftPC and MS DOS available.  We
> did not receive all the manuals we were supposed to.  How do I start
> these?

Hello fellow Martineer!

Try spc & to get it running.  You can make it look pretty with
.Xdefaults attributes spc*.  I use:

spc*Foreground:                 yellow
spc*Background:                 CadetBlue
spc*BorderColor:                blue
spc*BorderWidth:                2
spc*topShadowColor:             White
spc*bottomShadowColor:          SlateBlue

When you place the mouse in the window, pressing the STOP key will
give you the control menu.  Clicking on the mouse button turns the
mouse into a Microsoft mouse for PC programs.  The programs seem to
run at the same speed as a PC.

> On another note, I have had a series of very bad crashes with this
> system -- usually while using X11 windows.  I apologize if this has
> already been discussed, but is this a common occurrance?  How can I
> make this system more reliable?

Two things crash a computer: bad kernel parameters and a power glitch.
In the "Configuring the X Window System on Series 300" guide, it shows
new kernel parameters:
	maxdsiz 0x2000000
	shmmaxaddr 0x2000000
	shmmax 0xC00000
	dmmin 16
	dmmax 1024
	dmtext 1024
	dmshm 1024
****Note to HP: (The manual says maxsiz! Should be maxdsiz)
I have had a crash or two without these set in the kernel.

The other thing to watch for is power irregularities.  In a large
building you get all kinds of sags and surges. HP monitored our
line for us and found that we needed a *very* good line filter.
Ours from Puluzzi Engineering works just fine;  Send mail if you
want details.

Hope this helps...

Tony Burzio               * My HP 370 TurboSRX is nice, but my Tek4129
Martin Marietta Labs      * generates a lot more heat when the temp
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net * gets low in the building :-)

jww@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (Jim Wichelman) (05/12/89)

> We've recently acquired an HP 9000 series 300 which runs 6.5 (?)
> HP-UX.  Supposedly this system has SoftPC and MS DOS available.  We
> did not receive all the manuals we were supposed to.  How do I start
> these?

MS DOS is supported via the DOS Coprocessor card.  This is orderable as
a separate product:

S300 DOS coprocessor			HP 98286A
S300 DOS coprocessor software		HP 98531A
S300 DOS system (both of the above)	HP 98286S
S300 DOS coprocessor + 1 Meg RAM	HP 98286T
360 KB 5 1/4 floppy			HP 9127A
numeric coprocessor 			HP 45987A
ROM Upgrade Kit				HP 09133-89903

Contact Your HP Sales Rep for details.

rjn@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (05/13/89)

re: "MS DOS is supported via the DOS Coprocessor card.  This is orderable as
     a separate product:"

..also SoftPC(R),  which is an alternative solution.

  98870A SoftPC software and documentation
  98870S SoftPC license

> S300 DOS coprocessor			HP 98286A
> S300 DOS coprocessor software		HP 98531A
> S300 DOS system (both of the above)	HP 98286S
> S300 DOS coprocessor + 1 Meg RAM	HP 98286T

These numbers are a little old.  The 98286A card is no longer sold separately.
It is part of the 98286S/T bundles and the  98286D diskless node kit.

> 360 KB 5 1/4 floppy			HP 9127A

The co-processor solution also supports 3.5" (270K..1.6M) floppies via the
9122C drive (and any other SS/80 3.5" drive you might have on hand).

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                            3404 East Harmony Road
ARPA: rjn%hpfcrjn@hplabs.HP.COM                       Fort Collins
UUCP: [hplabs|hpu*!hpfcse]!hpfcla!rjn                 CO          80525-9599