[comp.sys.hp] nameserver on HP9000/835

tomc@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov (Tom Corsetti) (05/10/89)

Hi,
I'm posting for a friend.  He's got a group of HP workstations.
The server is running hp-ux 2.1, and a version of the nameserver
obtained from the good folks at hp (binary only), with no garantees.
Here are the symptoms of the problem: He can rlogin to his diskless
machines without their ip address entries present in the host table.
Everything works fine there... But, when he tries to rlogin back to
the diskful server, he gets a message from rlogind saying that it
couldn't resolv the hostname for ipaddress xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (which
is the address of the client machine he's coming from). Has anyone
seen this behavior before?  Telnet works just fine, as does ftp.
But rlogin doesn't.
                                        Thanks in advance for any help!
                                           - Tom Corsetti

--
  Tom Corsetti                 * * * *   internet - tomc@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov
  NASA/Goddard Space Flt Ctr    * * *    decnet   - dftnic::tomc

tomc@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov (Tom Corsetti) (05/10/89)

Hi Again,
On my previous posting, I forgot to mention that the nameserver was
running in a caching only mode on the server... So there is no explicite
mention of the "IN  PTR"  data base.  Could this be the problem?
                                - Tom

--

kamat@uceng.UC.EDU (Govind N. Kamat) (05/14/89)

In article <207@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> tomc@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov (Tom Corsetti) writes:

>The server is running hp-ux 2.1, and a version of the nameserver
>obtained from the good folks at hp (binary only), with no garantees.
>Here are the symptoms of the problem: He can rlogin to his diskless
>machines without their ip address entries present in the host table.
>Everything works fine there... But, when he tries to rlogin back to
>the diskful server, he gets a message from rlogind saying that it
>couldn't resolv the hostname for ipaddress xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (which
>is the address of the client machine he's coming from). Has anyone
>seen this behavior before?  Telnet works just fine, as does ftp.
>But rlogin doesn't.

Rlogind requires the client to be present in the host table, as a
security "feature".  This is the case with hp-ux 3.01 too.  Perhaps, it
might be changed when HP includes nameserver support officially.

I'm not sure how you can rlogin to a destination not present in the
table, since that version of hp-ux rlogin does not query the server as
it is distributed.  Unless you have the source available...
--
Govind N. Kamat				College of Engineering
kamat@uceng.UC.EDU			University of Cincinnati