[comp.sys.hp] rrn on 9000/835?

ltsf@zebra.cvs.rochester.edu (Lenny Saaf) (05/16/89)

I am interested in installing a remote news reader on our 9000/835
system.  I have tried the nntp package, but it does not seem to like
non-BSD systems.  Has anyone installed a remote news reader on a 9000,
or can anyone suggest possible software sources?

Thanks in advance,

***  Len Saaf  |   saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu     ***
***  The Institute of Optics, University of Rochester  ***

frank@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Frank G. Fiamingo) (05/16/89)

In article <1990@ur-cc.UUCP> ltsf@cvs.rochester.edu (Lenny Saaf) writes:
>I am interested in installing a remote news reader on our 9000/835
>system.  I have tried the nntp package, but it does not seem to like
>non-BSD systems.  Has anyone installed a remote news reader on a 9000,
>or can anyone suggest possible software sources?

Yes, I installed rrn on a 9000/840.  A number of changes were required,
among them:
1) add -lBSD to the LIBS definition in the makefile
2) change "void" to "extern" in util.c and "void" to "(void)" in
   serve.c
3) change "index" to "strchr" (or define this change in a header file)
4) include subroutines for bzero and bcopy in clientlib.c
   (the latest version (3.01) may include these subroutines when
   -lBSD is specified)
5) define USG and BSD in the makefile
6) define HAVETERMLIB  in config.h
7) define CBREAK as XTABS in term.h

There may have been other changes; these are the ones I can remember.
If you have further problems feel free to correspond with me directly.
Once these problems were resolved the program worked very well.

Frank Fiamingo