[comp.sys.hp] starbase tektronix 4014 drivers

lynch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Tim Lynch) (05/11/89)

Has anyone written a driver for Tektronix 4014 terminals for use under
Starbase?  Seems like this would be a very useful item -- certainly would
be for us.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

lynch@chemres.tn.cornell.edu, or
lynch@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

spirit@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (05/12/89)

If you find one PLEASE let me know.  We have oh soooo many
TEKTRONIX 4010/4014 and 4105 emulations that it just makes
me ill not having this driver.

One persons solution to this was to purchase a bunch of
HP graphics terminal emulators for his PC's.  Seems like
the expensive way to do things.

ARE YOU LISTENING OUT THERE HP!  THE WORLD'S TERMINALS ARE
RUNNING IN TEK 4010/4014 MODE!  ARE YOU GOING TO SUPPLY
A DRIVER IN THE FUTURE?

			sincerely,
			spirit@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide') (05/13/89)

In article <47500009@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> spirit@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>If you find one PLEASE let me know.  We have oh soooo many
>TEKTRONIX 4010/4014 and 4105 emulations that it just makes
>me ill not having this driver.

There is a product from HP called the Starbase Driver Development Guide (SDDG)
that allows you to write drivers for *any* graphics output/input device!
Check your directory /usr/lib/starbase/sddg.  There you will find some
of the files you need.  The others have to be purchased from HP.

We used SDDG to write Starbase drivers for Tektronix 4014, GraphOn, Challange,
and Pericom terminals on our HP9000/500.  The bad news is that when we used
the same package on the 300, with the proper minor modifications according
to the instructions (changing a struct to a pointer of a struct in the supplied source code and a few other things), it doesn't work when you try to use
rectangle(3G) and certain simple fonts.  Otherwise it works OK on the 300 too.

Questions to HP: What do I need to change in order that SDDG will run 100% OK
                 on the 300s?  What about the 800?  Some of the necessary .o
                 files seem to be missing from the HP-UX 3.01 distribution.

The HP Part Number for the SDDG manual was 97009-90000 when we bought the
product in 1986.

   ^   Bo Thide'--------------------------------------------------------------
 /|F|\        INTERNET: bt@irfu.se       UUCP: ...!uunet!sunic!irfu!bt
 ~~U~~ -----------------------------------------------------------------sm5dfw

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) (05/14/89)

In article <47500009@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, spirit@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> ARE YOU LISTENING OUT THERE HP!  THE WORLD'S TERMINALS ARE
> RUNNING IN TEK 4010/4014 MODE!  ARE YOU GOING TO SUPPLY
> A DRIVER IN THE FUTURE?

Hear hear!  Not only that, they run REGIS (blecch!), Calcomp, Tek41xx,
Postscript, and a whole host of others...

Tony Burzio               * Yes, I know HP makes great graphics terminals,
Martin Marietta Labs      * but what do I do with the rest of this junk?
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *

dunlap@apl-em.UUCP (John Dunlap) (05/18/89)

>> ARE YOU LISTENING OUT THERE HP!  THE WORLD'S TERMINALS ARE
>> RUNNING IN TEK 4010/4014 MODE!  ARE YOU GOING TO SUPPLY
>> A DRIVER IN THE FUTURE?
>
>Hear hear!  Not only that, they run REGIS (blecch!), Calcomp, Tek41xx,
>Postscript, and a whole host of others...

I must add my vote to this request.  I don't use the HP graphics
package partly for the above reasons.  We have a LaserWriter,
about 10 4010/4014/4105 emulators on Mac's and IBM compatables,
5 Z-19's with 4010 graphics boards, 3 HP-9020A graphics screens,
and 4 HP pen plotters.  We wrote our own package.

The other reason for writing our own was that we have other computers
besides HP.  So a standard would be extremely useful.  Perhaps the
world will come to that.

John Dunlap
Applied Physics Lab
University of Washington

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide') (05/21/89)

In article <630003@apl-em.UUCP> dunlap@apl-em.UUCP (John Dunlap) writes:
>>> ARE YOU LISTENING OUT THERE HP!  THE WORLD'S TERMINALS ARE
>>> RUNNING IN TEK 4010/4014 MODE!  ARE YOU GOING TO SUPPLY
>>> A DRIVER IN THE FUTURE?
>>
>>Hear hear!  Not only that, they run REGIS (blecch!), Calcomp, Tek41xx,
>>Postscript, and a whole host of others...
>
>I must add my vote to this request.  I don't use the HP graphics

The software exists and is called "Starbase Driver Development Guide".
See the directory /usr/lib/starbase/sddg for some of the files and
contact HP to buy the rest (Starbase driver template files written
in C!).  Maybe you will get it for free (?).

With this development package you can write Starbase drivers for *any*
graphics input/output device.  We used it on our 9000/540 to write
drivers for Tek 401x, GraphOn 250 and Pericom graphics terminals.

   ^   Bo Thide'--------------------------------------------------------------
  | |       Swedish Institute of Space Physics, S-755 91 Uppsala, Sweden
  |I|    [In Swedish: Institutet f|r RymdFysik, Uppsalaavdelningen (IRFU)]
  |R|  Phone: (+46) 18-403000.  Telex: 76036 (IRFUPP S).  Fax: (+46) 18-403100
 /|F|\        INTERNET: bt@irfu.se       UUCP: ...!uunet!sunic!irfu!bt
 ~~U~~ -----------------------------------------------------------------sm5dfw

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide') (05/21/89)

In article <630003@apl-em.UUCP> dunlap@apl-em.UUCP (John Dunlap) writes:
>>> ARE YOU LISTENING OUT THERE HP!  THE WORLD'S TERMINALS ARE
>>> RUNNING IN TEK 4010/4014 MODE!  ARE YOU GOING TO SUPPLY
>>> A DRIVER IN THE FUTURE?
>>
>>Hear hear!  Not only that, they run REGIS (blecch!), Calcomp, Tek41xx,
>>Postscript, and a whole host of others...
>
>I must add my vote to this request.  I don't use the HP graphics

The software you need exists and is called "Starbase Driver Development
Guide" (SDDG).  Look in the directory /usr/lib/starbase/sddg.  There you
will find some of the files you need.  The other files (Starbase driver
template files written in C) you buy from HP.  You may even get them for
free (?).

We used SDDG to write Starbase drivers on our 9000/540 for Tek 401x, GraphOn
250 and Pericom graphics terminals.  With SDDG you can easily write Starbase