[comp.sys.hp] IBM to HP150 to Thinkjet ?

pownell@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (05/18/89)

I have an IBM serially attached to my HP150. I would like to be able to
print from the IBM on the Thinkjet attached to the HP via the HPIB.

I was curious if anyone had tryed this?  If someone might know of
a utility program to make this possible?  Or if I should just forget
the idea, I have limited experiance with this HP and any comments
would be appreciated.

bp

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) (05/22/89)

In article <14500002@silver>, pownell@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

> I have an IBM serially attached to my HP150. I would like to be able to
> print from the IBM on the Thinkjet attached to the HP via the HPIB.
>
> I was curious if anyone had tryed this?  If someone might know of
> a utility program to make this possible?  Or if I should just forget
> the idea, I have limited experiance with this HP and any comments
> would be appreciated.

I am not aware of any utilities to do this transparently, but I have an
identical setup and use the following routine:

1) xfer file from IBM to HP via AdvanceLink[tm]

2) use DOS 'print' to dump the file to the ThinkJet[tm]

I admit this is klugy, but does work well.

Art

--
| R. Arthur Gentry     AT&T Communications     Kansas City, MO     64106 |
| Email: killer!kcdev!gentry         ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry      |

krause@hpindda.HP.COM (Mike Krause) (05/23/89)

If your IBM is a mainframe with a 3274 or 3174 cluster controller then you can
use a product from DCA called IRMA/3278 that has a print function capability.
The user can print files from the IBM by dumping them to the printer.  This is
not a great product but it can do the job within limited specifications dictated
primarily from what IBM 3278s can do.  HP supplies a version for the 150.