[comp.sys.hp] Emacs 18.54, X11, DISPLAY=unix:0 causes panic

tml@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) (05/25/89)

I compiled GNU Emacs 18.54 with gcc 1.35 on an hp9000/340, with X11.
When using DISPLAY=unix:0, and HP's X11 server, starting xemacs causes
a system panic...  DISPLAY=`hostname`:0 works OK.  Does anyone have a
fix to this?
--
Tor Lillqvist
Technical Research Centre of Finland, Computing Services (VTT/ATK)

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (05/25/89)

In article <3987@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi> tml@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) writes:
>I compiled GNU Emacs 18.54 with gcc 1.35 on an hp9000/340, with X11.
>When using DISPLAY=unix:0, and HP's X11 server, starting xemacs causes
>a system panic...  DISPLAY=`hostname`:0 works OK.  Does anyone have a
>fix to this?
>--
>Tor Lillqvist
>Technical Research Centre of Finland, Computing Services (VTT/ATK)
>tml@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi [130.188.52.2]

Which version of the operating system are you using?  I don't think
unix domain sockets are supported till version 3.1 or so.  If you
are using a version of the operating system without unix domain
sockets, then there is no fix (obviously).  In any case,
you can use the workaround you mentioned, it will only be marginally
slower.

BTW, "unix:0" is never really valid, it ought to be "localhost:0".

regards,
fletcher

Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred@bbn.com

darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (05/25/89)

In comp.sys.hp, tml@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) writes:

> I compiled GNU Emacs 18.54 with gcc 1.35 on an hp9000/340, with X11.
> When using DISPLAY=unix:0, and HP's X11 server, starting xemacs causes
> a system panic...  DISPLAY=`hostname`:0 works OK.  Does anyone have a
> fix to this?

[ DISCLAIMER: the following is NOT official Hewlett-Packard support.  It
is only the personal opinion of the author and does not reflect the
opinion, policy, or support of the Hewlett-Packard Company. ]

     I assume that you are running HP-UX 6.01 (or possibly 6.2 -- I
can't remember if this problem exists in 6.2).  This is a known problem,
and has been fixed in HP-UX 6.5.  You can do one of two things to avoid
it:

1. Use DISPLAY=`hostname`:0 instead of DISPLAY=unix:0

2. Upgrade to HP-UX 6.5 (By the way, X11 is included in this version).

     As a side note, in HP-UX 6.5 you have to specify "local:0", instead
of "unix:0" (I believe this was changed due to copyright restrictions).

     -- Darryl Okahata
	darrylo%hpnmd@hpcea.HP.COM