[comp.sys.hp] TeX on a HP9000/xxx .... Does it exist ?

bjs@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Brian J. Smith) (05/17/89)

Last edited: Tue May 16 23:30:12 1989 by bjs (Brian J. Smith) on beach

I dont know if I will get any response on this message but ya got
to try.

I was wondering if someone out there has made a port of TeX to
a HP9000/xxx of computer.  If so do you have diffs... can I get
them.

If the answer is no to both ( or just the first ) has anybody
tried to convert it to work ?

	Thanks A 1,000,000

	Brian John Smith
--
Brian J. Smith
{gatech|mailrus}!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!bjs

dunlap@apl-em.UUCP (John Dunlap) (05/22/89)

> I was wondering if someone out there has made a port of TeX to
> a HP9000/xxx of computer.  If so do you have diffs... can I get
> them.

I have a letter dated Aug 19, 1985 about TeX82 on the series 500 from
Jamie Bacon at

	Thermodynamics Research Center
	The Texas A&M University System
	College Station, Texas  77843-3111
	(409) 845-4940

Other contacts there are

	Ken Marsh or Gregory Marriott

They may have upgraded to other series of the 9000.

I have never seen or tried this package.

John Dunlap
APL/UW
(206) 543-1300

wunder@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (05/25/89)

   I was wondering if someone out there has made a port of TeX to
   a HP9000/xxx of computer.  If so do you have diffs... can I get
   them.

We use the TeX-in-C (CommonTeX?  I can never remember) all the time.
Works great.  Pascal portablity is rather difficult, since some of
the Pascal compilers on the HP9000s come from different ancestors
(HP9000/800 is from the HP3000 family).  C is the safe bet.

I don't have a contact for the source, perhaps some TeX hacker will
reply.

wunder

tml@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) (05/25/89)

Well, if you get the latest Unix-TeX distribution, I don't think you
will have any great difficulties compiling TeX.  TeX isn't be very
sensitive to Unix version differences.  I think the Unix-TeX tape
comes with a web-to-C translation program, so you will not need any
Pascal compiler.
--
Tor Lillqvist
Technical Research Centre of Finland, Computing Services (VTT/ATK)

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) (05/25/89)

In article <3988@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi>, tml@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) writes:
> Well, if you get the latest Unix-TeX distribution, I don't think you
> will have any great difficulties compiling TeX.  TeX isn't be very
> sensitive to Unix version differences.  I think the Unix-TeX tape
> comes with a web-to-C translation program, so you will not need any
> Pascal compiler.

The UNIX TeX distribution from Univ. Washington compiles and produces
DVI files, but none of the previewers/displayers work.  Anyone have a
working output program for X or postscript?

Tony Burzio               * I want McDraw for X!!!
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *

ray@vantage.UUCP (Ray Liere) (05/26/89)

You may want to contact:
	Bo Thide'
	Swedish Institute of Space Physics

He was working on TEX for the 300 and 500 series -- I have not communicated
with him recently, but the email address that I used was:
		mcvax!enea!kuling!irfu!bt

Ray Liere
Vantage Consulting and Research Corporation
voice: (503)657-7294
uucp: hplabs!hpfcla!hpubvwa!vantage!ray

tml@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) (05/26/89)

In article <556@mmlai.UUCP> burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) writes:
>The UNIX TeX distribution from Univ. Washington compiles and produces
>DVI files, but none of the previewers/displayers work.  Anyone have a
>working output program for X or postscript?

I have both xdvi (from comp.sources.x) and dvialw ("Apple
LaserWriter") from the Beebe drver family working on our hp9000s800.
Neither needed any major surgery to work.

--

paul@mecazh.UUCP (Paul Breslaw) (05/30/89)

In article <556@mmlai.UUCP> burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) writes:
>The UNIX TeX distribution from Univ. Washington compiles and produces
>DVI files, but none of the previewers/displayers work.  Anyone have a
>working output program for X or postscript?

I also had no problem building TeX and LaTeX using the Washington distribution
and web2c on a 319 and 340 under 6.2 and 6.5.

Under the current X11 distribution from HP (== MIT Release 2) we use xdvi
from comp.sources.x. No problem here.

Under X10, HP supplied a hack to the old xdvi (xdvi-hp) which was built
with the X10 XRay kit. Again no problems.

PostScript output falls into two parts:-

For printers: dvi2ps available on the Washington tape needed a very small
amount of massage to work.

For displays: This is less succesful. We use the Rutherford Labs (UK)
X11 version PostScript interpreter (ralpage) for drafting easy pictures
and include them in LaTeX files with psfigtex. I have not yet been able to get
dvi2ps output of complete documents to successfully display through ralpage.
Fortunately xdvi kindly leaves a 'Watch This Space' space where the PS
should appear, so we manage.

Paul Breslaw.   mcvax!cernvax!mecazh!paul

hwt@bnr-public.uucp (Henry Troup) (05/31/89)

Try ArborText, Inc for a commercial implementation.

help@arbortext.com or sales@arbortext.com might do.

This is a personal opinion only.  I am a satisfied customer of ArborText.
BNR's opinion may vary.

utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not 	| All that evil requires
hwt@bnr (BITNET/NETNORTH) 	     | responsible for 	| is that good men do
(613) 765-2337 (Voice)		     | my opinions	| nothing.