[comp.sys.hp] Contrib tapes on HP9000/300,800's

scott@grlab.UUCP (Scott Blachowicz) (05/26/89)

We bought a "contrib tape" for a 9000/320 that had useful things like a
monitor program, but it only had relocatables. The relocatables don't
work on our newest systems (6.2, 6.5)-they load, but don't report things
correctly. It would be REAL nice to have some system performance
monitoring tools as part of the HP-UX distribution (how about throwing
monitor in there?). Even the 1000 ships such things (they have a program
called meter). At any rate, I don't remember the part number of the 300
Series tape and can't find it documented anywhere...

  -Does it still exist? (what is the part number? where can we get it?)

  -Does one exist for the 9000/800 Series as well? (what is the part
   number? where can we get it?)

  -I've seen mention of an "X contrib tape" in comp.sys.hp recently:
   > Some people in the factory have created a tape of X stuff for the
   > 300 and 800 that will be distributed to SE's (HP field personnel)
   > sometime in the next couple months. Customers will have to get
   > the stuff from their SE. Tell 'em the part number is B1152-10205
   > (although they should get it sent to them automatically).
   Any chance of this being available for normal ordering? Would it be
	better to get the MIT distribution for X goodies? or would this tape
	be different enough to get it too?

Thanx,
Scott Blachowicz
USPS:  Graphicus                UUCP:    ...!hpubvwa!grlab!scott
       150 Lake Str S, #206     VoicePh: 206/828-4691
       Kirkland, WA 98033       FAX:     206/828-4236

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) (06/02/89)

In article <240037@grlab.UUCP>, scott@grlab.UUCP (Scott Blachowicz) writes:
> We bought a "contrib tape" for a 9000/320 that had useful things like a
> monitor program, but it only had relocatables. The relocatables don't
> work on our newest systems (6.2, 6.5)-they load, but don't report things
> correctly. It would be REAL nice to have some system performance
> monitoring tools as part of the HP-UX distribution (how about throwing
> monitor in there?). Even the 1000 ships such things (they have a program
> called meter). At any rate, I don't remember the part number of the 300
> Series tape and can't find it documented anywhere...
>
>   -Does it still exist? (what is the part number? where can we get it?)
>
>   -Does one exist for the 9000/800 Series as well? (what is the part
>    number? where can we get it?)

I am the chairman for INTEREX's HP9000 Contributed Software Library.  We are
in the process of producing our first CSL tape for distribution to all
INTEREX members registered as 9000 users.  Besides submissions from INTEREX
members, there is a large collection of goodies from HP, WITH SOURCES!!  With
the software merger of the 500 and 800 series machines, this means a large
selection of this software will run on both machines and "should" run on
most 300(UNIX) machines as well.  It is planned to release this tape with
at least 100 contributions on it, including system utilites, handy scripts,
graphics programs, database utilities and much more.

We are also soliciting additional contributions for inclusion on this and
future tapes (hint....hint...:-}).  It is our plan to release a new tape at
least once a year, plus produce a swap tape at each INTEREX conference (which
we did for the first time at last years Orlando conference).

Further information can be had by contacting the INTEREX office at:

680 Almanor Ave.
Sunnyvale, CA.  94088
(408) 738-4848

--
| R. Arthur Gentry     AT&T Communications     Kansas City, MO     64106 |
| Email: killer!kcdev!gentry         ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry      |