[comp.sys.hp] Positioning Windows With hpwm

paul@mecazh.UUCP (Paul Breslaw) (06/01/89)

We are trying to write an X11 application under HP-UX 6.5 that:-

    a. Uses the full screen (yes all of it).
    b. Is managed by hpwm.

We have tried setting the resources `positionIsFrame' and `positionOnScreen' to
False, but hpwm still insists on offsetting the top left corner of the
user area of the window a few pixels.

This is true even with tests like

     xclock -geometry 200x200+0+0

In addition, hpwm still resizes the window to original size minus the
frame size.

Does anyone know why this is so?

Better still, does anyone know an hpwm resource called

   Hpwm*layOffThisWindow

Suggestions gratefully received.

Paul Breslaw      mcvax!cernvax!mecazh!paul
Gerard Mohler     mcvax!cernvax!mecazh!gege

Mecasoft SA
8057 Zurich
Switzerland

PS. Please don't suggest using twm - we know it's good.

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (06/02/89)

In article <347@node14.mecazh.UUCP> paul@mecazh.UUCP (Paul Breslaw) writes:
>We are trying to write an X11 application under HP-UX 6.5 that:-
>
>Better still, does anyone know an hpwm resource called
>
>   Hpwm*layOffThisWindow

Have you tryed adjusting the resources:

positionIsFrame

and

positionOnScreen

>PS. Please don't suggest using twm - we know it's good.
It is difficult for me to conceive that someone would, of their own
free will, use twm rather than hpwm.  However, there is no accounting
for bizarre tastes ;-) ;-)

Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred@bbn.com

shankar@hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni) (06/03/89)

> Better still, does anyone know an hpwm resource called
>    Hpwm*layOffThisWindow

Use Hpwm's client-specific resource "clientDecoration" to turn off decoration
for your client.

    Hpwm*<CLIENTCLASS>*clientDecoration: None

If you set up the right button bindings, you can still manipulate the
window using chorded button presses (sort of what you would normally do under
uwm).

You'll still get an infinitesimal border (about 3 pixels or so). I think
you can manipulate this using the "borderWidth resource, but don't quote me.
-----
Shankar.

keith@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Keith Taylor) (06/05/89)

>We are trying to write an X11 application under HP-UX 6.5 that:-
>
>    a. Uses the full screen (yes all of it).
>    b. Is managed by hpwm.
>
>We have tried setting the resources `positionIsFrame' and `positionOnScreen' to
>False, but hpwm still insists on offsetting the top left corner of the
>user area of the window a few pixels.
>
>This is true even with tests like
>
>     xclock -geometry 200x200+0+0

Try setting both positionOnScreen and positionIsFrame to False. Also,
start up your client with an X-border width of 0.  Hpwm tries to position
the window so the client area is in the same place it would have been
if the window had been put up with its original X-border. The client area
is offset from the geometry specified by the width of the X-border.

>In addition, hpwm still resizes the window to original size minus the
>frame size.
>
>Does anyone know why this is so?

You might try specifying a sufficiently big maximum size in
WM_NORMAL_HINTS. What you describe sounds like the default maximum
size computed by hpwm. (I hope I interpreted your statement correctly.)

Keith M. Taylor
Hewlett-Packard
Corvallis Information Systems