[comp.sys.hp] HPIB cable swaps?

mjb%hoosier.utah.edu@wasatch.utah.edu (Mark Bradakis) (06/06/89)

Here at the University of Utah we have lots of HP stuff, including many dozen
brand new 10833A (1 Meter) HP-IB cables.  What we DON'T have is many 10833B
cables, the 2 meter variety.  If you have N Bs, and would like 2N As, or are
planning on ordering new cables, me know, we'd love to trade.

mjb@hoosier.utah.edu

"What's that?  Who's driving?  Where're we going?"

steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) (06/06/89)

In article <1987@wasatch.utah.edu>, mjb%hoosier.utah.edu@wasatch.utah.edu
                                                   (Mark Bradakis) writes:

> Here at the University of Utah we have lots of HP stuff, including
> many dozen brand new 10833A (1 Meter) HP-IB cables.  What we DON'T
> have is many 10833B cables, the 2 meter variety.
>
> [offer to trade A's for B's]

Welcome to the club!  :-)   Just chain them together.  Unless you have
a zillion devices located 20 meters away, chaining will work fine.

        Steve Dempsey,  Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
  Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO  80523    +1 303 491 0630
INET: steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu, dempsey@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
UUCP: boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu!steved, ...!ncar!handel!dempsey

rjn@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (06/06/89)

re: "...we have lots of ... brand new 10833A (1 Meter) HP-IB cables."

> What we DON'T have is many 10833B cables, the 2 meter variety.

You can make long cables out of short cables by using an HP 30070-00043
joining plate for each cable pair.  $8.25 U.S. list price.

rdg@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Rob Gardner) (06/07/89)

> re: "...we have lots of ... brand new 10833A (1 Meter) HP-IB cables."
>
> > What we DON'T have is many 10833B cables, the 2 meter variety.
>
> You can make long cables out of short cables by using an HP 30070-00043
> joining plate for each cable pair.  $8.25 U.S. list price.

Duct tape also works well. $2.99 U.S. list price for 25 yards. ;-)

Rob

campbelr@hpclove.HP.COM (Bob Campbell) (06/10/89)

> Duct tape also works well. $2.99 U.S. list price for 25 yards. ;-)
>
> Rob

I am of the "cable-tie" school of thought myself.  Easier to cut off
and no sticky remnants.  Be aware that 2 1-meter cables will not reach
2 meters due to the kink.
Bob Campbell                Some times I wish that I could stop you from
campbelr@hpda.hp.com        talking, when I hear the silly things you say.
Hewlett Packard                                    - Elvis Costello

sfr@praxis.co.uk (Stephen Rickaby) (06/12/89)

In article <5570203@hpfcdc.HP.COM> rjn@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Niland) writes:
>re: "...we have lots of ... brand new 10833A (1 Meter) HP-IB cables."
>
>> What we DON'T have is many 10833B cables, the 2 meter variety.
>
>You can make long cables out of short cables by using an HP 30070-00043
>joining plate for each cable pair.  $8.25 U.S. list price.

Yes, but do be aware that you will intrduce reflections with each
connector pair: you may find that 4*10833A does not perform in critical
applications.  HP publish (I seem to remember) guidelines/rules for HPIB
cable configurations: it all depends on what you are driving, what your
layout is, etc.

Steve Rickaby, Praxis Systems plc, 20 Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1PX, UK
Tel: +44 225 444700 Tx: 465205 PRAXIS
sfr%praxis.uuc@ukc.ac.uk, !mcvax!ukc!praxis!sfr