[comp.sys.hp] 80186 cross compilers

maddog@cbnews.ATT.COM (john.j.tupper) (06/08/89)

We are using an HP-UX workstation with HP64000 emulators hung off the back.
We have just recently broken the HP cross compiler that came with all the
equipment. Soooo...

We are looking for an 8086/80186 cross compiler that produces object files
that can be used with the HP-UX/HP64000 emulation system. We intend on
using >64k of data and >64k of code.

Does anyone have experience with any such compilers? Would you care to make
any recommendations? We also have a Sun 3/60 on our lan, so we could also
use a product that ran on a sun.

I know HP has a new cross compiler, any feed back on that would be appreciated
too.

	thanks,
	maddog
sdlfkj sdlfks sd sdf			My real signature is illegible too

algoss@hpubmaa.HP.COM (Al Gosselin) (06/12/89)

Being a field systems engineer and a solid HP kind of guy, I have a few
questions and maybe a few comments.

1) Which compiler did you "break"? There are at least 2 compilers avail-
able for the 8086 family. The older 64800-series compilers broke at the
drop of a hat! The newer 64900-series compilers are nearly unbreakable!

2) Have you told anyone at HP about your problems and allowed them the
opportunity to fix it? By "anyone" I mean the Response Center, your
sales rep. or your local S.E.

3) If you spoke with someone, were you satisfied with the response?
If you were not satisfied, you should talk to their boss or maybe
John Young, or maybe even me!

I have been supporting HP Logic stuff for 8 years, and I hate to hear
about people looking for alternate solutions, especially when we have
one of the best around.

Call me!
Alan Gosselin  (203)659-6067

maddog@cbnews.ATT.COM (john.j.tupper) (06/15/89)

In article <220015@hpubmaa.HP.COM> algoss@hpubmaa.HP.COM (Al Gosselin) writes:
>Being a field systems engineer and a solid HP kind of guy, I have a few
>questions and maybe a few comments.
>
>1) Which compiler did you "break"? There are at least 2 compilers avail-
>able for the 8086 family. The older 64800-series compilers broke at the
>drop of a hat! The newer 64900-series compilers are nearly unbreakable!

The older compiler. I must have dropped my hat.

>2) Have you told anyone at HP about your problems and allowed them the
>opportunity to fix it? By "anyone" I mean the Response Center, your
>sales rep. or your local S.E.

Given the quiality og the older compiler in general, I didn't want to waste
alot of time trying to get it to work (I just finished installing the latest
update - so I ad the newest version). We have since bought the newer 64900
series compiler and this one seems to be much better (hasn't broken yet).

sdf sdoi sdfsdflkj			My real signature is illegible too