[comp.sys.hp] HP9000 Memory

spirit@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (06/22/89)

Hello,

We are looking at getting some more memory for
our HP 9000/835.  HP wants $8000 for 8MB.  Does
anybody know of any third party manufacturers
who have reasonable prices?

spirit@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu

spirit@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (06/22/89)

Oops,

I guess it was just wishful thinking.
The actual price is $10,000 for 8MB.
Prices are going up as I type this...

spirit@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu

vic@zen.co.uk (Victor Gavin) (06/25/89)

In article <47500013@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> spirit@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I guess it was just wishful thinking.
>The actual price is $10,000 for 8MB.
>spirit@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu

I just saw the price for 80MB on a 950: 252,000 UK pounds.

What do they use, silicon from the Moon ? :-)

			vic

jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) (06/26/89)

In article <1624@zen.co.uk> vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) writes:
>I just saw the price for 80MB on a 950: 252,000 UK pounds.
>What do they use, silicon from the Moon ? :-)

A price of about 3,000 pounds per megabyte is quite cheap by HP
standards. After all, it's only about 10 times the going rate for memory
- a moderate rip-off by HP standards.

		Jim

rclark@speclab.bgp-usgs.gov (Roger N. Clark) (06/26/89)

But aren't memory prices in general dropping?  The memory chip
shortage is over.  So why are HP's prices increasing?