[comp.sys.hp] Arrrgh. HPUX 6.0 sendmail problem.

mtsu@blake.acs.washington.edu (Montana State) (06/25/89)

OK I fold.  I have an hp9000/350 running HPUX that my users have decided
needs to talk to the rest of the world.  Sendmail has been working fine for
local (to the machine) stuff.  So I hop into /usr/lib/sendmail.cf to
set up the domain name, refreeze the configuration file, fire off a test
message, and voila' she don't work.

Here's a short example

dali # mailx mathisen@caesar
Subject: a wimpy little test
EOT
Null message body; hope that's ok
dali # sendmail: mathisen@caesar... Network node caesar not recognized at this s
ite
tail /usr/spool/mqueue/syslog
Jun 25 03:00:33 AA08738: to=mathisen, delay=00:00:04, stat=unknown mailer error
1
Jun 25 03:00:34 AA08744: from=MAILER-DAEMON, size=0, class=0
Jun 25 03:00:36 AA08744: to=root, delay=00:00:03, stat=Sent
Jun 25 03:01:10 AA08752: from=root, size=48, class=0
Jun 25 03:01:11 AA08758: from=MAILER-DAEMON, size=0, class=0
Jun 25 03:01:13 AA08758: to=root, delay=00:00:02, stat=Sent
dali #

Nothing I seem to do fixes the problem.  I've included the relevant portions of
my sendmail.cf...  Not the rulesets, as I didn't touch them.  Heck this is
almost an exact duplicate of /etc/newconfig/sendmail.cf.  Also in one
of my permutations, I ended up with sendmail tacking on a .ARPA to my
host name which was already fully-qualified, yet the was no 'arpa' any
where in the file.  I wish HP's sendmail would've dropped into place like
Ultrix's, but then, I wish DEC would take HP's diskless node ideas and use 'em
...  Oh well, just wanting everything I guess.

Thanx for any help.

######################
###  local macros  ###
######################

# your official UUCP hostname (should come from "uuname -l")
DH$w

# class L defines alternate host names (host name aliases) which refer to
# the local host.  Mail to these host names will be routed to the local mailer.
CL

# your local domain (fully qualified)
DDcs.montana.edu

# local domain names
CD

# class U defines known direct UUCP connections
FU/usr/lib/uucp/L.sys %s

# class S defines presumed direct SMTP connections
FS/etc/hosts %*[0-9.] %s

# UUCP relay for unresolved ! addresses
DU

# SMTP relay for unresolved @ addresses
DScaesar.cs.montana.edu

# pathalias nameserver
DP/usr/bin/uupath

# official domain name for this site
Dj$?D$w.$D$|$w$.

# my name
DnMAILER-DAEMON

# UNIX header format
DlFrom $g $d

# delimiter (operator) characters
Do.:%@!^=/[]

# format of a total name
Dq$?x$x <$g>$|$g$.

# SMTP login message
De$j HP Sendmail $v ready at $b

###################
###   Options   ###
###################

### Changeable Options ###

# log level
OL9

# delivery mode
Odbackground

# error reporting mode
Oep

# read timeout -- this technically violates the SMTP protocol
Or5m

# queue timeout interval
OT3d

###    Other Options     ###

# HP recommends that these options remain unchanged.

# Save those UN*X From_ lines
Of

# location of alias file
OA/usr/lib/aliases

# temporary file mode
OF0600

# default UID
Ou1

# default GID
Og1

# location of help file
OH/usr/lib/sendmail.hf

# default messages to old style
Oo

# queue directory
OQ/usr/spool/mqueue

# status file
OS/usr/lib/sendmail.st

# queue up everything before starting transmission
Os

# send to me, too if in alias expansion
Om

###############################
###   Message precedences   ###
###############################

Pfirst-class=0
Pspecial-delivery=100
Pjunk=-100

#########################
###   Trusted users   ###
#########################

Troot
Tdaemon
Tuucp

#############################
###   Format of headers   ###
#############################

HReceived: $?sfrom $s $.by $w; $b
HResent-Date: $a
HDate: $a
HResent-From: $q
H?F?From: $q
H?x?Full-Name: $x
H?P?Return-Path: <$g>
HSubject:
# HPosted-Date: $a
# HReceived-Date: $b
# HResent-Message-Id: <$t.$i@$j>
# H?M?Message-Id: <$t.$i@$j>

kamat@uceng.UC.EDU (Govind N. Kamat) (06/28/89)

In article <2544@blake.acs.washington.edu> mtsu@blake.UUCP (Montana State) writes:
>OK I fold.  I have an hp9000/350 running HPUX that my users have decided
>needs to talk to the rest of the world.  ...
>dali # sendmail: mathisen@caesar... Network node caesar not recognized at this site
>Nothing I seem to do fixes the problem.  I've included the relevant portions of
>my sendmail.cf...  Not the rulesets, as I didn't touch them.  Heck this is
>almost an exact duplicate of /etc/newconfig/sendmail.cf.  Also in one
>of my permutations, I ended up with sendmail tacking on a .ARPA to my
>host name which was already fully-qualified, yet the was no 'arpa' any
>where in the file.

If I remember right, you are supposed to uncomment some lines in the
sendmail.cf depending on whether you want to attempt to connect to any
host in your /etc/hosts, or forward to a relay.  Your problem sounds
like neither of these cases is active, and there is a fall-through to
the error condition.

The ARPA domain is the default net unless set by the N option.

> I wish HP's sendmail would've dropped into place like
>Ultrix's,...

How *can* you expect that from a vendor that seems to be perpetually
stuck with System 5.2?  One which doesn't have routed, domain server
support, uucp that can talk TCP, whois or fingerd, and refuses to
upgrade its over-3-year-old ksh?

--
Govind N. Kamat 			College of Engineering
kamat@uceng.UC.EDU			University of Cincinnati

diamant@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) (06/28/89)

> Here's a short example
>
> dali # mailx mathisen@caesar
> Subject: a wimpy little test
> EOT
> Null message body; hope that's ok
> dali # sendmail: mathisen@caesar... Network node caesar not recognized at this site
> Nothing I seem to do fixes the problem.  I've included the relevant portions of
> # SMTP relay for unresolved @ addresses
> DScaesar.cs.montana.edu

One thing you might try is changing the above line to:
DScaesar

Also, is caesar the official hostname (the one returned by hostname)?  If
not, this could be your problem.

This particular release of the sendmail.cf unfortunately doesn't have full
support of domains in it.

John Diamant
Software Engineering Systems Division
Hewlett-Packard Co.		Internet: diamant@hpfclp.sde.hp.com
Fort Collins, CO		    UUCP: {hplabs,hpfcla}!hpfclp!diamant