[comp.sys.hp] Printing DVI Files

bf08+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ben Fine) (06/30/89)

I'm having trouble printing TeX DVI files on our Laserjet+.  I'm running
HP-UX 3.1 on a 9000/850.  I'm using the "dvijet" program that was provided
with our distribution of TeX.  I send the output of the "dvijet" program
to the printer and I get garbled output.  Normal ASCII files print perfectly.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-Ben Fine
bf08+@andrew.cmu.edu OR eno@othello.lcl.cmu.edu

pgt@hpfipgt.HP.COM (Paul Tobin) (07/07/89)

	Have you tried the "-oraw" option to lp?  This instructs lp
	not to try and format the data (page breaks, etc).

scott@grlab.UUCP (Scott Blachowicz) (07/15/89)

pgt@hpfipgt.HP.COM (Paul Tobin) writes:

> Have you tried the "-oraw" option to lp?  This instructs lp
> not to try and format the data (page breaks, etc).

I write:
 We've had similar problems sending WordPerfect output files as well as
TeX dvi files to our LJ+. It seems that the filter used in "cooked" mode
doesn't like files with "0 lines" (i.e. binary output files with no
newlines). It didn't seem like -oraw helped. (This was on a 9000/370
running HP-UX 6.5, so it may not be the same thing.) Using
"cat file >printer" worked fine in this case...looking at the lp model,
it seems that -oraw does some stuff other than just catting to the
printer...we'll probably have to hack in another option, -ocat, unless
someone has a better idea.

Scott Blachowicz
USPS:  Graphicus                UUCP:    ...!hpubvwa!grlab!scott
       150 Lake Str S, #206     VoicePh: 206/828-4691
       Kirkland, WA 98033       FAX:     206/828-4236