[comp.sys.hp] How do you get to console debug mode on HP-9000/300 ?

die@cpoint.UUCP (David I. Emery) (07/11/89)

	At the risk of asking a question that must have been asked
before on this group (which I haven't been reading regularly)...
How does one activate the processor ROM hardware debug code on an
HP-9000/300 series box with a model 98562 (25 mhz 68020) processor ?
We need to poke around in physical address space and would prefer
not to have the kernel running (it appears that if you write your
own little utiity to do it, you can use lseek on /dev/mem with negative
addresses to access physical memory and IO space but that at least
adb, od, and xd refuse to accept negative addresses for /dev/mem).

	The manuals explain how to get into what they call attended
boot mode (by hitting a key during self test) and how to boot various
flavors of OS, but they are completely silent on how to activate
the firmware debugger.   I have a very vague recollection of some
net complaining a while ago about how one had to cut a jumper on the
CPU to allow this on some HP machine - we can certainly cut jumpers
if we have to but need to know  what jumper.

	Can anybody ou there help ?

--
	David I. Emery   Clearpoint Research Corp.
	35 Parkwood Dr, Hopkinton Ma. 01748  1-508-435-7462

rodc@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Rod Cerkoney) (07/12/89)

	I don't know of a way to do what you want via the BOOT ROM but I
	think this will help.

	Current versions of hp-ux are shipped with a kernel debuger.
	To use it connect a terminal to the human interface cards' serial
	interface (select code 9).

	Next from attended boot mode ask for SYSDEBUG (1D), this loads the
	kernel debugger which in turn loads hp-ux.

	From the system console, usally a bit mapped device, press
	SHIFT-CONTROL-RESET simultaneously, B*L*A*M*O, your in the debugger
	on the terminal connected to S/C 9.

	The kernel debugger provides fuctionality similar to ADB.

	For more details consult the HP-UX Driver Development Guide,
	P/N 98577-90010.

	Hope this helps.

	Rod Cerkoney.

frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) (07/12/89)

In article <2434@cpoint.UUCP> die@cpoint.UUCP (David I. Emery) writes:
>How does one activate the processor ROM hardware debug code on an
>HP-9000/300 series box with a model 98562 (25 mhz 68020) processor ?

What firmware debugger?  Suns have one (famous for its security
implications), but I've never seen one on a 300 series.  As far as
I know, the boot ROM is just that.  If there *is* a debugger
(or a monitor mode) hidden in the boot ROM code, I'd love to play
with it.  :-)
--
Frank Wales, Systems Manager,        [frank@zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217

perry@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Perry Scott) (07/13/89)

Re:  Don't drive like this

If you don't have 98577-90010, and happen to navigate yourself into the
debugger, typing 'c' (continue) will get you back to normal mode.  For
the really adventurous, the debugger is a cdb mutant, and the cc "-g"
option really works.

Perry Scott
sometime user of KDB

perry@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Perry Scott) (07/15/89)

>If there *is* a debugger (or a monitor mode) hidden in the boot ROM
>code, I'd love to play with it.

SYSDEBUG resides in main memory.  It isn't part of the Boot ROM.  The
procedure is to boot the debugger instead of the kernel, then boot the
kernel from the debugger.  The debugger grabs a piece of RAM, then
covers itself up by telling the system that there isn't as much memory
as previously thought.  The kernel, meanwhile, happily chugs along with
this inert area of RAM lying about.

Perry Scott