[net.music] The other Keyboardist

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (10/03/83)

From: Ed Featherston  HL01-1/P06  225-5241 <roll::featherston>

 Begin Forwarded Message:

Newsgroup : net.music
>From : EIFFEL::BLICKSTEIN
Subject:  The other Keyboardist

The other Keyboardist Steve Howe almost ended up with was none other than
Keith Emerson of Emerson, Lake & Palmer.   Emerson asked Howe to join ELP
when they were forming (making the initial HELP,  of course it could have
been EHLP).  What you may not know is that Emersons and Howes paths almost
crossed again.  When Rick Wakeman left Yes they asked Emerson to join, but
he was still happy with ELP.

Regarding the other guitarist:  This is an excellent trivia question because
if I was to guess by listing guitarists this one would be among the last I'd
have figured to play with Emerson.  Keith Emerson and the Nice did a tour as
the opening act for (pause)  Jimi Hendrix.  They both admired each others
playing and Emerson asked Hendrix to join him, but it was inconvienent at the
time.   This would also have made the initials HELP.  Although it would have
been interesting, I'm real glad it didn't happen.

Howe has also done a collaboration with Steve Morse of the Dregs on the Dregs
industry Standard album.  It's called "Up In the Air".  A lovely classical
duet.

I have heard rumors that Yes (in some form) is re-forming and Jon Anderson (who
I'm convinced was the driving spirit of Yes) is involved.  I hope Steve Howe
has made enough money with Asia now and decides to re-enter a band that is
more suited to displaying his real talents.

RE: Great guitarists on one stage

Last night I saw Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, Paco DeLucia and Steve Morse
all play together at once on the same stage.  I must admit that I didn't find
it all that musical.  Much of the Dim,Mc & Deluc stuff seems like a speed
contest.  But seeing so many of my guitar influences (nay INSPIRATIONS) all
together like that was really exciting.

	Dave Blickstein
	Technical Languages
	Digital Equipment Corp.

		Mail address : ...decvax!decwrl!rhea!eiffel!blickstein

 End Forwarded Message