[comp.sys.hp] Serial ports for 9000/370

davidb@Pacer.UUCP (David Barts) (07/27/89)

We need to add 4 more serial ports to our HP9000 series 370 HPUX
system.  We already have one expansion box full of cards
(16 ports in all), and I'd much rather swap an 8-port card
for one of the 4-port units rather than spend the $$$ for
a new expansion box.

HP apparanetly doesn't sell an 8-port card.  Does anyone else?

David Barts			Pacer Corporation
davidb@pacer.uucp		...!fluke!pacer!davidb

rjn@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (07/28/89)

re: "HP apparanetly doesn't sell an 8-port card."

Not over-the-counter, yet.  Ask your sales rep what would be required for
you to obtain a 98638A 8-channel mux.  It is a DIO-System (large) card, and
offers 8 full-modem ports.  It is currently being sold only as a "special",
but with luck will appear on the price list this year.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland        rjn%hpfcrjn@hplabs.HP.COM           3404 East Harmony Road
                  [hplabs|hpu...!hpfcse]!rjn          Ft Collins CO 80525-9599

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Anthony Burzio) (07/29/89)

In article <241@zircon.UUCP>, davidb@Pacer.UUCP (David Barts) writes:
> We need to add 4 more serial ports to our HP9000 series 370 HPUX
> system.  We already have one expansion box full of cards
> (16 ports in all), and I'd much rather swap an 8-port card
> for one of the 4-port units rather than spend the $$$ for
> a new expansion box.

I have a catalog from a company called IOtech which lists a
four port RS232 box that attaches to an HP-IB cable.  You
could drop one of these on your slow-speed HP-IB.  IOtech
is at (216)439-4093.  I've never used this device, but it
should be a lot cheaper than more expansion boxes.  The
catalog is good to get just for all the neat HP-IB gizzmos :-)

Have you considered a terminal server on ETHERNET?  We use
various varieties of TCP/IP termianal servers and they all work
just fine.  We have a couple hundred ports out there, and they
can all hook up to our HPs.

Hope this helps.

Tony Burzio               * I want my 68040 upgrade!
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *