[comp.sys.hp] Help with X Widgets

mike@abekrd.UUCP (Mike Quinn) (07/26/89)

	Help !

	We've recently acquired some lovely new HP 9000/300 workstations
	complete with X11 windows. I have pulled a few programs from the
	net and seem to be running into problems with widgets.

	Putting things simply nothing works ! If it involves a widget
	we're on a hiding to nothing. I've spent days looking through
	the X Widgets and Xlib manuals but can't seem to resolve the
	differences.

	Can anyone put us out of our misery and match up the non-HP with
	HP widgets ?

	Non HP					HP
	formWidgetClass		== (?)		XwformWidgetClass
	labelWidgetClass
	boxWidgetClass
						XwbuttonWIdgetClass
						XwbulletinWIdgetClass
						XwframeWidgetClass
						XwstaticRasterWIdgetClass
						XwstaticTextWIdgetClass
						XwworkSpaceWidgetClass

	There are plenty of other WidgetClasses, but these are the main
	ones.

	One other point, I have seen an X Toolkit resource XtNfromVert,
	used in conjunction with a CreateManagedWidget for a boxWidget.
	Is this the same as XtNinnerWidth or something completely
	different ?

	Please mail me directly with any help or further queries. If I
	get enough response I'll post a summary.

	Thank you in anticipation.

	Mike.
Mike Quinn                |  NET:   mike@abekrd.co.uk
Abekas Video Systems Ltd. |  UUCP:  ...!mcvax!ukc!{reading,pyrltd}!abekrd!mike
12 Portman Rd,   Reading, |  PHONE: +44 734 585421 ____________________________
Berkshire.       RG3 1EA. |  FAX:   +44 734 597267 | Never underestimate the
United Kingdom.           |  TELEX: 847579         | power of human stupidity.

beshers@cs.cs.columbia.edu (Clifford Beshers) (07/28/89)

In article <423@abekrd.UUCP> mike@abekrd.UUCP (Mike Quinn) writes:

	   Help !

	   Can anyone put us out of our misery and match up the non-HP with
	   HP widgets ?

	   Non HP					HP
	   formWidgetClass		== (?)		XwformWidgetClass
	   labelWidgetClass
	   boxWidgetClass
						   XwbuttonWIdgetClass
						   XwbulletinWIdgetClass
						   XwframeWidgetClass
						   XwstaticRasterWIdgetClass
						   XwstaticTextWIdgetClass
						   XwworkSpaceWidgetClass

	   ^^^^^^ These are the Athena widgets, the original basis for
the X Toolkit, distributed by MIT, but not by HP.  If you have the
X11R2 distribution, you can compile them and use them.

   Mike Quinn                |  NET:   mike@abekrd.co.uk

Cliff Beshers
Columbia University Computer Science Department
beshers@cs.columbia.edu

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Anthony Burzio) (07/29/89)

In article <BESHERS.89Jul27191525@cs.cs.columbia.edu>, beshers@cs.cs.columbia.edu (Clifford Beshers) writes:
> 	   Can anyone put us out of our misery and match up the non-HP with
> 	   HP widgets ?

I got this response from a nice fellow at HP a while back:

\*From: chan@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Chan Benson)
\*Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp
\*Subject: Re: XBIFF for X11/HPUX
\*
\*Some people in the factory have created a tape of X stuff for the 300 and
\*800 that will be distributed to SE's (HP field personnel) sometime in the
\*next couple months. Customers will have to get the stuff from their SE.
\*Tell 'em the part number is B1152-10205 (although they should get it sent
\*to them automatically).

I got the tape and highly recommend it.  Well up to HP standards, and
everything works great!

Tony Burzio               * HP needs better advertising...
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *