[comp.sys.hp] Is there an HP user's group?

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (06/08/89)

This may seem like a dumb question but, is there a user's group for HP
workstations like there is for Sun (SUG)?

ctp
-----
Clyde T. Poole -- Technical Coordinator, Facilities and Equipment
Univ. of Texas at Austin        ARPA/CS/NSFnet: ctp@cs.utexas.edu
Dept. of Computer Sciences      UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!cs.utexas.edu!ctp
Taylor Hall 2.124               BITNET: ctp@UTADNX  SPAN: UTSPAN::UTADNX::CTP
Austin, TX  78712-1188          VOICE: (512) 471-9551   FAX: (512) 471-8885

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) (06/08/89)

In article <5615@cs.utexas.edu>, ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) writes:
> This may seem like a dumb question but, is there a user's group for HP
> workstations like there is for Sun (SUG)?

You bet there is a users group for HP.  INTEREX, the international users group
for HP computer system users, supports all HP systems from desktops to the
largest 3000's and 9000's.  Besides the main group, we have a multitude of
special interest groups for specific interests and an extensive library of
contributed software.  We hold 2 annual international conferences, one in the
U.S. and one in Europe;  this years U.S. conference is in San Fransisco in
August.  The conferences are typicly attended by 3000+ users.

Information on joining, benifits and support can be had by contacting the
INTEREX office at:

680 Almanor Ave.
Sunnyvale, CA
94088-3439
Voice: 408-738-4848
FAX:   408-736-2156
Telex: 4971527

--
| R. Arthur Gentry     AT&T Communications     Kansas City, MO     64106 |
| Email: killer!kcdev!gentry         ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry      |

dans@hplsla.HP.COM (Dan Siler) (06/09/89)

Interex is the International Association of Hewlett-Packard Computer Users
(HP3000, HP9000, HP1000, and PC's). They have monthly periodicals and semi-
annual International conferences. The next one is in San Francisco 9/14-18.

You can contact them as follows:

  Interex
  680 Alamanor Avenue
  P.O. Box 3439
  Sunnyvale, Ca   94088-3439

  (408) 738-4848

rer@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Rob Robason) (07/23/89)

There is also an informal user's group via notes.  Many HP sales offices
provide notes feeds to customers desiring them.  The customer groups are
'hug.*' and provide access to other customers on this net.  HPites also
read these notes and often respond, though they do so as user's and not
as HP representatives.  Customers are responsible for connection costs,
etc.  for the feed.  This is not intended to replace Interex or normal
contractual support services.

Ask your SE.

Rob Robason

wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) (08/04/89)

In article <5570217@hpfcdc.HP.COM> rer@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Rob Robason) writes:
> There is also an informal user's group via notes.  Many HP sales offices
> provide notes feeds to customers desiring them.  The customer groups are
> 'hug.*' and provide access to other customers on this net.
>
> Ask your SE.

actually, i did just that.  both my sales rep and my se responded with
a "huh?  never heard of it.  and everyone we ask hasnt heard of it.
besides, i very much doubt that hp would all customers access to thier
internal networks..."  (ok, it wasnt quite that direct, but that was
the jist of the conversaion)

i have heard that these are good groups for hp users from several
people and i would like to get them.  does anyone know who my sales
rep can contact to get a real answer for me?  or is there someone i
can contact directly?  i have a telebit and would be willing to pick
up groups if the volume isnt to high.

-wayne

vic@zen.co.uk (Victor Gavin) (08/07/89)

In article <5570217@hpfcdc.HP.COM> rer@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Rob Robason) writes:
> There is also an informal user's group via notes.  Many HP sales offices
> provide notes feeds to customers desiring them.  The customer groups are
> 'hug.*' and provide access to other customers on this net.
>
> Ask your SE.

We tried this about a year or so back, and after much faffing about, HP said
that we couldn't because the groups weren't received in this country.

Apparently the Response Centre in the UK isn't even on Usenet, let alone the
Internet...

			vic
--
Victor Gavin						Zengrange Limited
vic@zen.co.uk						Greenfield Road

wunder@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (08/08/89)

   In article <5570217@hpfcdc.HP.COM> rer@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Rob Robason) writes:
   > There is also an informal user's group via notes.  ...  The customer
   > groups are 'hug.*' and provide access to other customers on this net.

   actually, i did just that.  both my sales rep and my se responded with
   a "huh?  never heard of it.

Most of the hug.* traffic seems to be right here on comp.sys.hp these
days, so you already have access.  The hug.* stuff looks pretty dead.

   besides, i very much doubt that hp would all customers access to thier
   internal networks..."

Damn straight.  We have about 19,000 hosts on our IP network and it
is private.

wunder

rjn@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (08/10/89)

re: "Most of the hug.* traffic seems to be right here on comp.sys.hp these
     days, so you already have access.  The hug.* stuff looks pretty dead."

hug.* exists, but is inert, for several reasons:

 1. When it was created, as I recall, comp.sys.hp did not exist.

 2. Comp.sys.hp must obey the non-commercial conventions of Usenet/Internet.
    Since hug.* would be HP-hosted, and only go to sites that explicitly
    requested it, we thought we might use it to make overtly commercial
    announcements of interest to HP customers.  We never used it for that.
    As it is, we hardly ever submit articles to comp.newprod.

 3. A hug.* connection requires a feed from an HP site (or another hug.*
    site).  There aren't a great many of these available.

 4. Virtually all traffic posted to hug.* is also cross-posted in comp.sys.hp

Use comp.sys.hp.  If the traffic ever gets so great that it overwhelms the
internet, then new subcategories, creation of alt.sys.hp or resurrection of
hug.* might be in order.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                            3404 East Harmony Road
ARPA: rjn%hpfcrjn@hplabs.HP.COM                       Fort Collins
UUCP: [hplabs|hpu*!hpfcse]!hpfcla!rjn                 CO          80525-9599