[comp.sys.hp] HP Precision Architecture and Hitachi

vic@zen.co.uk (Victor Gavin) (08/04/89)

I have been informed (and thus would like to share my mis-information)
that HP and Hitachi have signed an agreement whereby HP get hold of
some of Hitachi's chip fabrication technology in exchange for
Precision Architecture.

Way to go HP!

			vic

mlight@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Mike_Light) (08/07/89)

>I have been informed (and thus would like to share my mis-information)
>that HP and Hitachi have signed an agreement whereby HP get hold of
>some of Hitachi's chip fabrication technology in exchange for
>Precision Architecture.

Ayup, there was an official newsgram on it, too, stating the Hitachi
effort was to produce a 100 mip processor in the 1992 timeframe.

> Way to go HP!

ditto.

Mike Light  HP IAC   Telnet 746-5869    Mailstop 100K    mlight@hpiacla

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Anthony Burzio) (08/08/89)

In article <1678@zen.co.uk>, vic@zen.co.uk (Victor Gavin) writes:
> I have been informed (and thus would like to share my mis-information)
> that HP and Hitachi have signed an agreement whereby HP get hold of
> some of Hitachi's chip fabrication technology in exchange for
> Precision Architecture.

My DEC rag said that a CMOS chip for HP-PA running about 100 MIPS
would be in production around 1992!  Imaging a 4 processor 8xx series
machine running the Apollo multi-processing software :-)

Tony Burzio               * Speed!  Raw Speed!
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *

frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) (08/09/89)

In article <582@mmlai.UUCP> burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Anthony Burzio) writes:
>In article <1678@zen.co.uk>, vic@zen.co.uk (Victor Gavin) writes:
>> I have been informed (and thus would like to share my mis-information)
>> that HP and Hitachi have signed an agreement whereby HP get hold of
>> some of Hitachi's chip fabrication technology in exchange for
>> Precision Architecture.
>
>My DEC rag said that a CMOS chip for HP-PA running about 100 MIPS
>would be in production around 1992!  Imaging a 4 processor 8xx series
>machine running the Apollo multi-processing software :-)

[A *DEC* rag?  Have they lost their presence of mind?]

According to Joel Birnbaum (HP Labs Head Honcho for Spectrum), a CMOS
micro version existed at least two years ago.  Any idea what
happened to it?  [And there was I hoping for Spectrum calculators;
anyone for an HP-841S?]

Also, yesterday I noted the following in the UK rag 'Mini-Micro News',
August 1989:

  "HP is reportedly talking to Hitachi and VLSI Technology about
  fabricating the next generation processor, known as PA Plus.

  "HP would be unlikely to encourage widespread 'cloning' of the processor,
  and would probably limit fabrication to two sources.

  "The new PA Plus processor is said to include features taken from the
  recently acquired Apollo Computer's Prism RISC design, and is expected
  to include support for multi-processing."  [That didn't take long!
  Also, doesn't PA have multi-processing support in any case?]

Note the circumspection in the article ("is reportedly", "would probably",
"is said to", "is expected to").  It's still interesting, though.
--
Frank Wales, Systems Manager,        [frank@zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (08/13/89)

In article <1684@zen.co.uk> frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) writes:
>Also, yesterday I noted the following in the UK rag 'Mini-Micro News',
>August 1989:
>
>  "HP is reportedly talking to Hitachi and VLSI Technology about
>  fabricating the next generation processor, known as PA Plus.
>
>  "HP would be unlikely to encourage widespread 'cloning' of the processor,
>  and would probably limit fabrication to two sources.
>
>  "The new PA Plus processor is said to include features taken from the
>  recently acquired Apollo Computer's Prism RISC design, and is expected
>  to include support for multi-processing."  [That didn't take long!
>  Also, doesn't PA have multi-processing support in any case?]

"Is reportedly" generally means, "We read it in another magazine."
"Is said to" can mean one of several things:  "HP said this, but we're
not sure if we believe them," or "This is what other people (possibly
at HP) have told
us, but they won't let us use their names."

--
"Goldfish are quiet, under the water.
"Girls who keep goldfish are often quite noisy."