[comp.sys.hp] Un-partitioning Hard Disk on HP 9000/300 Series

ciaraldi@cs.rochester.edu (Mike Ciaraldi) (08/18/89)

I recently "inherited" an HP Series 9000 Model 310 system,
equipped with a 9153 disk system (floppy plus 10 Meg hard disk).
It was originally set up with BASIC version 4, and we just
upgraded to BASIC 5.13.  The manuals for the new BASIC haven't
arrived yet.

[I realize that this is not a Precision Architecture machine
running Unix and X-Windows, but it does the job it was bought for].

Recently we started running out of space on the hard disk
(no kidding, with only 10 Meg, but it gets worse).
When we added up the files, they only came to about 1.5 Megabytes!
Some poking around with the BASIC utilities seems to indicate that
the hard disk has been partitioned (by the previous user)
to four volumes of about 2 Meg each (actually about 9800 records of 256 bytes).

I tried using INITIALIZE again, but this only formats one partition
at a time.  So, my question is:  How do you un-partition the
hard disk, and get it back to being just one volume?

I did call the local HP office, and they said everyone who knew
this sort of thing was out of town.

While we're on the subject of disks, I see that BASIC 5 now supports
a Hierarchical File System.  How much overhead does this consume on
the disk?  And does it eliminate the requirement that files be
stored on contiguous blocks?

Thanks in advance,
Mike Ciaraldi
uucp:  ...rutgers!rochester!ciaraldi
arpa:  ciaraldi@cs.rochester.edu

rjn@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (08/19/89)

re: "I recently "inherited" an HP Series 9000 Model 310 system,
     equipped with a 9153 disk system (floppy plus 10 Meg hard disk)."

> When we added up the files, they only came to about 1.5 Megabytes!
> Some poking around with the BASIC utilities seems to indicate that
> the hard disk has been partitioned (by the previous user)
> to four volumes of about 2 Meg each

> I tried using INITIALIZE again, but this only formats one partition
> at a time.

The choice of reformat-current-config or reformat-new-config is made by a
switch on the back of the drive.  It is different for the 9153A, B and C.
You need the appropriate owner's manual.

I suggest reformatting as a single volume, using the HFS file system.  You
will lose all existing data when you do this, so be sure to back up what you
have.

> While we're on the subject of disks, I see that BASIC 5 now supports
> a Hierarchical File System.  How much overhead does this consume on
> the disk?

As I recall, it requires 512 bytes per [BASIC-type] file.

> And does it eliminate the requirement that files be
> stored on contiguous blocks?

I think so.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland        rjn%hpfcrjn@hplabs.HP.COM           3404 East Harmony Road
                  [hplabs|hpu...!hpfcse]!rjn          Ft Collins CO 80525-9599

stevem@pserv.UUCP (Steve Mestad) (08/19/89)

In article <1989Aug18.014354.189@cs.rochester.edu> ciaraldi@cs.rochester.edu (Mike Ciaraldi) writes:
>I recently "inherited" an HP Series 9000 Model 310 system,
>equipped with a 9153 disk system (floppy plus 10 Meg hard disk).

>the hard disk has been partitioned (by the previous user)
>to four volumes of about 2 Meg each (actually about 9800 records of 256 bytes).
>            So, my question is:  How do you un-partition the
>hard disk, and get it back to being just one volume?

Look at the back of the drive next to the hpib connector...On 1 side
is the HPIB address wheel.  On the other, is the 'configuration switch'.
This tell the drive how to split itself up.  Its a BCD type switch
labelled from 0 to 9.  Set it to 0.

See pages 3-3 to 3-5 of the 9153/9154 manual (Geting started with)...

Steve Mestad....stevem%pserv@src.honeywell.com

(Hopefully this will get out in a reasonable amount of time....
 Our UUCP link is not getting through from either end very often.)

In article <109@pserv.UUCP> stevem@pserv.UUCP (Steve Mestad) writes:

>Look at the back of the drive next to the hpib connector...On 1 side
>is the HPIB address wheel.  On the other, is the 'configuration switch'.
>This tell the drive how to split itself up.  Its a BCD type switch
>labelled from 0 to 9.  Set it to 0.
>
>See pages 3-3 to 3-5 of the 9153/9154 manual (Geting started with)...

Well, I checked the back of some 9153/9154 drives we have.  The documented
switch isnt there like TFM says it is.  (Should have looked closer before
my post right?)

Suggestions:
1) remove screws and pull out interface board to see if the switch is
   on it and just not accessable from the outside.  Use ESD precautions
   naturally.
2) try formatting using the unit and volume numbers.  maybe those are the
   keys now instead of the switch.  did you use unit #0, vol #0?
3) take the top off the drive and look in there for a board with a bcd on it.
   (Getting dangerous now right?  :-)  There could be some interesting
	jumpers too.  (No I havent torn apart my drives to verify this either.
	Have had others apart though and the jumpers are quite interesting)

I recommend #1 and #2 be tried.  #3 only if you have experience in the guts
of the hardware and know what you can get away with.  Write down the original
state of ALL switches and jumpers changed.  At least then you can get the
thing working the way it did when you started.  (No, you wont remember the
settings later.  Later is always longer than you thought and by then so
much will have been tried that all the positions seem reasonable.
But then again, I was working on DEC boards :-))

Good luck....(No, I dont make a habit of using basic but I've read about
those partitions you're trying to deal with).

Steve Mestad, stevem%pserv@src.honeywell.com

steve@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Steve Taylor) (08/19/89)

} > While we're on the subject of disks, I see that BASIC 5 now supports a
} > Hierarchical File System.  How much overhead does this consume on the disk?
} As I recall, it requires 512 bytes per [BASIC-type] file.
} > And does it eliminate the requirement that files be stored on contiguous
} > blocks?
} I think so.

From "Installing and Maintaining the BASIC 5.0/5.1 System", p2-6:
(adapted slightly)	Disc Size	Approx. Overhead
			270K floppy		44%
			640K floppy		22%
			720K floppy		18%
			 55M hard disk		 6%
			130M hard disk		 6%
Of course, this doesn't include the size you're interested in, but the trend
is clear.  The 512 bytes per file applies to typed files.  5.0 also added an
"untyped" data file which does not have this header.  Yes, it eliminates the
requirement that files be contiguous.  Some other considerations (from p2-5
of the above reference):

Feature:		HFS:			LIF:

Directory		Hierarchical		Single directory
structure		(multi-directory)	on each volume
                        structure

Multiple systems	HP-UX, BASIC, and	BASIC and Pascal can
on same volume		Pascal systems can	share a disk
			share a disk

Extensible files	Files are extensible	File length is fixed
			(when a file would
			otherwise overflow,
			the system automatically
			adds space to it)

Access times		Generally slower	Generally faster
			than LIF		than HFS

TRANSFER		Not implemented as	True background process
			a background process	and high data rates

Overhead required	Requires more 		Requires less overhead
			overhead than LIF	than HFS

wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) (08/21/89)

In article <1989Aug18.014354.189@cs.rochester.edu>, ciaraldi@cs.rochester.edu (Mike Ciaraldi) writes:
> [...] So, my question is:  How do you un-partition the
> hard disk, and get it back to being just one volume?

The partitioning on the 9153 is *hard* partitioning, controlled by a
configuration switch on the back.  It is a small rotary switch, and can
be used to select a number of different configurations.  To get one
large partition, set this switch to 0 and INITIALIZE the disk again.

> While we're on the subject of disks, I see that BASIC 5 now supports
> a Hierarchical File System.  How much overhead does this consume on
> the disk?  And does it eliminate the requirement that files be
> stored on contiguous blocks?

It's the same file system HP-UX uses.  It has the same features and
requirements as such (i.e.  no contiguous block requirement).

--
	       Bruce Wehr (wehr%dptc.decnet@srlvx0.srl.ford.com)
    (...!mailrus!sharkey!fmeed1!wehr) (wehr%fmeed1.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu)