[comp.sys.hp] X11R3 on HP 9000 Series 350

mathieu@yunexus.UUCP (Pierre Mathieu) (08/22/89)

	Thanks to all who responded to my 'bsdinstall' query. The problem
is now fixed.
	I still haven't gotten X11R3 to work though. To resume, I
am trying to get X11R3 working on an HP 9000 Series 350 running
HPUX 6.2 with a 98720A Renaissance (16 image planes) colour graphics
station. I have successfully compiled and installed the software
but I cannot get it to run. When I try to run 'xinit' I get the
following message:

  xinit: Connection refused (errno 239): unable to connect to X server

I tried using th HP X11 'X' server instead of the X11R3 'Xhp' server
(linked to 'X') and got partial results. The window manager started
but the fonts didn't load properly. At any rate, this seems to
indicate that the X11R3 'xinit' is not getting the 'Xhp' server
to recognize our workstation.
	What I would like to know is if anyone has successfully
gotten X11R3 running on a similar HP system with any of the colour
stations mentioned in the server/ddx/hp/hp/README file. I have
extracted the relevant information below.

	==================
	HP Product Numbers
	==================
	Please refer to the HP catalog or to the apropriate data sheets
	for the displays.  The following data relates the use of the
	product names with their official HP product numbers:

	98542A	TOPCAT Med Res Mono Display Controller
			512x400 pixels
	98543A	TOPCAT Med Res Color Display Controller
			512x400 pixels, 16 colors
	98544B	TOPCAT Hi Res Mono Display Controller
			1024x768 pixels
	98547A	TOPCAT Hi Res Color Display Controller
			1024x768 pixels, six planes
	98550A  CATSEYE Hi Res Color Display Controller
			1280x1024 pixels, 10 planes,
			  configurable as 8 image planes
			  + 2 overlay planes
	98720A	RENAISSANCE Solids Rendering Graphics Subsystem
			1280x1024 pixels, configurable with 4 to 24
			   image planes + 4 overlay planes

	Thanks in advance for any help,

-----

Pierre Mathieu
CRESS, York University,
Ontario, Canada
mathieu@nexus.yorku.ca

raveling@venera.isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (08/24/89)

In article <3313@yunexus.UUCP> mathieu@yunexus.UUCP (Pierre Mathieu) writes:

>	I still haven't gotten X11R3 to work though. To resume, I
>am trying to get X11R3 working on an HP 9000 Series 350 running
>HPUX 6.2 with a 98720A Renaissance (16 image planes) colour graphics
>station. I have successfully compiled and installed the software
>but I cannot get it to run. When I try to run 'xinit' I get the
>following message:
>
>  xinit: Connection refused (errno 239): unable to connect to X server

	Which in turn has put out the wonderfully informative message
	"Giving up" to its own stderr and exited.  The MIT X11R3 copy
	of X doesn't include a Renaissance driver in the display server.

	We'd love to find a Renaissance driver too!  We've found the X11
	value-to-problem ratio is maximized by sticking with MIT X11R3,
	but it's VERY awkward to have to switch versions of X to use
	the Renaissance.

Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu