[comp.sys.hp] Cannot remote print from Ultrix to HP840

krishnan@uceng.UC.EDU (Ramaswamy Krishnan) (08/23/89)

After a few unsuccessful weeks with the HP Response Center, this had
had to come to the HP gurus.

The problem : Remote print jobs sent from a VAX8650 (Ultrix 3.0)
              reach our HP840 (HP-UX 3.1), but do not go to the
	      default printer connected to the HP840.

Has anyone else encountered similar problems?
Any suggestions/pointers on causes/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

I have appended some info for those of you who might be interested.

(yes, we do run the remote lp daemon :-)

- krishnan
  krishnan@UC.EDU  or uccba!uceng!krishnan
   Here is a typical "ls -l /usr/spool/lp/request/lp" from HP840 :

   For a remote print job from the Ultrix :

total 4
-r--r-----   1 lp       bin          141 Aug 21 02:59 cA1923uceng
-r--r-----   1 lp       bin          124 Aug 21 02:59 dA1923uceng

   For a "local" print job from the HP :

total 4
-rw-rw-rw-   1 root     bin            0 Aug 21 03:01 cfA006ucunix.san.uc.edu
-r--r-----   1 root     bin          153 Aug 21 03:01 dfA006ucunix.san.uc.edu
-r--r-----   1 root     bin          124 Aug 21 03:01 tfA006ucunix.san.uc.edu

   The "d*" files above contain the data, and the headers are in the
   files cA* for the local print jobs, and tfA* for the remote print
   jobs.

   The contents of the header file cA1923uceng (local print job) are :

Huceng
Pkrishnan
Jlp-1923
Cuceng
Lkrishnan
K1
T/users/con/krishnan/.login
FdA1923uceng
fdA1923uceng
UdA1923uceng
N/users/con/krishnan/.login

   The header file tfA006ucunix.san.uc.edu (remote print job) contains :

Hucunix.san.uc.edu
Pkrishnan
J.login
Cucunix.san.uc.edu
Lkrishnan
fdfA006ucunix.san.uc.edu
UdfA006ucunix.san.uc.edu
N.login

   Thus there seem to be some differences in the file ownership/protections
   and contents. To me it appears that the temporary file "tf*" from the
   Ultrix is being converted to "cf*" and due to some problem with that
   (the "cf*" files are 0 bytes), the jobs do not go to the printer.

   Also, the /usr/spool/lp/log file does not contain any information
   about the remote job.

   The response center asked us to reload some of the filesets from
   the last update - they suspected the problem to be with some file
   protections and that we may have altered some protections after we
   did the update - but this was of no use.

   Thanks for your time.

Ramaswamy Krishnan         |College of Engineering ; University of Cincinnati
krishnan@UC.EDU      (ARPA)| "computers are intelligent
uccba!uceng!krishnan (UUCP)|   - but just don't know that yet" - fortune

paul@prcrs.UUCP (Paul Hite) (08/25/89)

In article <1969@uceng.UC.EDU>, krishnan@uceng.UC.EDU (Ramaswamy Krishnan) writes:

> The problem : Remote print jobs sent from a VAX8650 (Ultrix 3.0)
>               reach our HP840 (HP-UX 3.1), but do not go to the
> 	      default printer connected to the HP840.

We have no problems with remote printing.  Our main printer is attached to
our 850 and our VAX (running Ultrix 2.2) can print to it.  Before we got our
850, the VAX had the main printer and our 835 and 840 were able to print on
the VAX's printer with no problem.

Here is our current /etc/printcap entry on the VAX:
lp|local line printer:\
	:lp=:rm=prcrs:rp=lp:sd=/usr/spool/lpd:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:
	              ^^^^^

	              note the explicit printer selection

It sound like you have omitted the "rp=lp" and want the lp software to find
the default printer on your 840.  This seems to fail.

BTW, our 850's lp was defined without using the -ob3 option by accident but
everything seems to work anyway.  All of the HP's on our network use 4 digit
request numbers and the VAXEN use 3 digit request numbers.  I expect that
something would break if a VAX was doing the printing.

According to my notes, the only trouble that I had with remote printing
was that the System Admin manual specifies "-ocm rcmodel" and "-osm rsmodel"
but the embedded spaces MUST be removed to get the lpadmin command to work.

Hope this helps.

Paul Hite   PRC Realty Systems  McLean,Va   uunet!prcrs!paul    (703) 556-2243
                      DOS is a four letter word!