[comp.sys.hp] Re^2: HP 7958S disk question

paul@mecazh.UUCP (Paul Breslaw) (08/22/89)

> 7.0 is planned to bring the 300 and 800 much closer together, but the
> match is not absolute.  Sorry Roger, but you've struck on one of the few
> exceptions:  Disk partitions on the 300 are not planned.  (If it's any
> consolation, though, we're not taking them out of the 800.)

Unix has sensibly partitioned disks since the PDP-11 days. It allows
existing physical disks to be logically split up according to the
needs of ones users.  Big disks are more economical than small ones,
but small file systems are more manageable than large ones - particularly
in view of the current brain-damaged HP 1/4" cartridge philosophy.

If my users requirements change, HP presumably would like me to buy
new disks.

This really is one of the worst decisions I have heard in a long time.
Please reconsider it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Paul Breslaw              |  telephone :  41 1 362 2040
Mecasoft SA               |  e-mail    :  mcvax!cernvax!mecazh!paul
Guggachstrasse 10         |
8057 Zurich               |
SWITZERLAND               |
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

diamant@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) (08/26/89)

> Big disks are more economical than small ones,
> but small file systems are more manageable than large ones - particularly
> in view of the current brain-damaged HP 1/4" cartridge philosophy.

Why do you say that?  I have always found partitions to be annoying and
have tried to configure systems with as few partitions as possible (1
being the ideal number).  Partitions can cause you to run out of disk
space even when the disk has plenty of space (just in the wrong
partitions).  I use this philosophy with physical disks too.  I always
try to get a single large disk rather than a few small ones (this
is not a cost issue -- this is to avoid partitioning the filesystem).
So, I'm curious why you consider small filesystems to be more manageable
than large?

I'm also not sure I understand your comment about the tape cartridges.
Is this the fact that you can only fit 60Mb on a single uncompressed
16 track 1/4 cartridge?  If so, I don't see that partitioning helps that
any.  It's not that difficult to set up your backups to handle certain
parts of the filesystem rather than the whole thing.  It doesn't require
partitions to do that.

By the way, I had nothing to do with decision about whether
partitions are supported on the series 300.  I'm just curious what
benefit you see in them.

John Diamant
Software Engineering Systems Division
Hewlett-Packard Co.		Internet: diamant@hpfclp.sde.hp.com
Fort Collins, CO		    UUCP: {hplabs,hpfcla}!hpfclp!diamant

rjn@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (08/27/89)

re: "I'm also not sure I understand your comment about the tape cartridges.
     Is this the fact that you can only fit 60Mb on a single uncompressed 16
     track 1/4 cartridge?  If so, I don't see that partitioning helps that
     any."

If you keep your partition sizes under 67 Mbytes (or 134 for the 9145A),
you can make "image" backups of each filesystem.   The random/re-writeable
feature of "brain-damaged" HP tape drives then permits you to access your
backup tapes by *mounting* them as filesystems.  QIC drives can't do this.

Personally, the annoyance of small partitions is not offset by this
recovery advantage.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland        rjn%hpfcrjn@hplabs.HP.COM           3404 East Harmony Road
                  [hplabs|hpu...!hpfcse]!rjn          Ft Collins CO 80525-9599

law@udel.EDU (Jeff Law) (08/28/89)

In article <JV.89Aug28092555@mhres.mh.nl> jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
>In article <7540036@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM> diamant@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) writes:
>   ...  Partitions can cause you to run out of disk
>   space even when the disk has plenty of space (just in the wrong
>   partitions). ...
>
>Right. But partitions (or separated disks) can also separate critical
>filesystems (e.g. /, /usr) from less-critical filesystems (e.g.
>/usr/spool) thus preventing them to overflow due to erroneous
>(malacious?) actions which should normally only affect the other
>filesystems.

also partitions help separate users.  specifically we tend to partition
undergrads, grads, faculty/staff, administrative users into different
partitions, that way people can only blame their peers (or themselves)
for a lack of space, it also prevents a single user from sucking up ALL
available space (and we have users that would if they had access to more
media)

Jeff

of course if you have and use quotas this doesnt make a whole lot of difference

--
University of Delaware  PHONE: (302)-451-8005 or (302)-451-6339
ARPA: law@udel.EDU,  UUCP: ...!<your_favorite_arpa_gateway>!udel.edu!law

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (08/28/89)

In article <7540036@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM> diamant@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) writes:
   ...  Partitions can cause you to run out of disk
   space even when the disk has plenty of space (just in the wrong
   partitions). ...

Right. But partitions (or separated disks) can also separate critical
filesystems (e.g. /, /usr) from less-critical filesystems (e.g.
/usr/spool) thus preventing them to overflow due to erroneous
(malacious?) actions which should normally only affect the other
filesystems.

But of course, this medal has (at least) two sides...

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{mcvax,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

rer@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Rob Robason) (08/30/89)

> of course if you have and use quotas this doesnt make a whole lot of
> difference

If you had quotas, would there still be a need/use for partitions?