[comp.sys.hp] chfn and Yellow Pages passwd

garyb@abekrd.UUCP (Gary Bartlett) (08/25/89)

We are running an HP9000/300 system with a no. of diskless nodes and a network
of Sun 3/50s.  The passwords on the HP are yellow paged (a Sun being the
yellow pages server).  We have experienced two problems:

	1) The finger command displays two entries per user.  One showing the
	   shell used on the Suns, the other showing the shell used on the HPs
	   (different).  This isn't too bad though (and for all I know may be
	   the correct behaviour), but the second problem is a little worrying:

	2) After running the chfn command to update the finger information
	   (GCOS field), the local /etc/passwd file gets corrupted.  It
	   contains all the yellow paged passwd information and the local
	   information all mixed into one.  This is clearly wrong and
	   considering chfn runs suid root for anyone, possibly dangerous.

Has anybody noticed this before?  Is it a real bug?
--
Gary C. Bartlett               NET: garyb@abekrd.co.uk
Abekas Video Systems Ltd.     UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!{reading,pyrltd}!abekrd!garyb

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Anthony Burzio) (08/28/89)

In article <470@abekrd.UUCP>, garyb@abekrd.UUCP (Gary Bartlett) writes:
> We are running an HP9000/300 system with a no. of diskless nodes and a network
> of Sun 3/50s.  The passwords on the HP are yellow paged (a Sun being the
> yellow pages server).  We have experienced two problems:
> Has anybody noticed this before?  Is it a real bug?

Actually, Yellow Pages just doesn't work very well on HP.  I still
have a call in to the Response Center from two months ago trying to fix
sendmail requiring a complete hosts table on all client nodes (800 server
and 300-based cluster client).  Since nobody called back, I supposed it
was just broken and haven't called in with the other plethora of problems
with Yellow Pages.  Sigh.  HP does make very nice graphics terminals :-)

Tony Burzio               * Computers know when you are mad,
Martin Marietta Labs      * and get even!
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *

mhn@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mark Notess) (09/01/89)

> 2) After running the chfn command to update the finger information
>    (GCOS field), the local /etc/passwd file gets corrupted.  It
>    contains all the yellow paged passwd information and the local
>    information all mixed into one.  This is clearly wrong and
>    considering chfn runs suid root for anyone, possibly dangerous.

> Has anybody noticed this before?  Is it a real bug?

It is a bug through 6.5.  It is now fixed (fixed in the sense that
chfn will work on local /etc/passwd entries without corrupting the file).

Mark Notess