[comp.sys.hp] cookie program??

AR.BXA@forsythe.stanford.edu (Bob Anderson) (08/23/89)

trivial & novice type query:

anyone have a source or script + file (preferably) for a
'cookie' type program that can be launched by login that
displays, aphorisms, jokes, etc??

sounds trivial, but haven't come across anything yet.  we
have an S835.

thanks in advance...

bob

walter@hpsad.HP.COM (Walter Coole) (08/25/89)

Do you mean something like "fortune", the standard distribution one-liner
program?  I recall a PD version in either comp.sources.unix or
comp.binaries.ibm_pc, if the standard version isn't acceptable.

andyc@hpopd.HP.COM (Andrew Cunningham) (08/30/89)

I ninstalled mine from hpsrdmo.  It includes the -o option.

Have fun....

darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (08/31/89)

In comp.sys.hp, AR.BXA@forsythe.stanford.edu (Bob Anderson) writes:

> anyone have a source or script + file (preferably) for a
> 'cookie' type program that can be launched by login that
> displays, aphorisms, jokes, etc??

     I have the sources to a slightly modified version of the BSD
"fortune" program (it was, I believe, posted in comp.sources.games a few
years back).  Send Email if you want a copy.  It runs on both S300s and
S800s.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	darrylo%hpnmd@hpcea.HP.COM

brian@apollo.HP.COM (Brian Holt) (09/07/89)

In article <770010@hpsad.HP.COM> walter@hpsad.HP.COM (Walter Coole) writes:
>Do you mean something like "fortune", the standard distribution one-liner
>program?  I recall a PD version in either comp.sources.unix or
>comp.binaries.ibm_pc, if the standard version isn't acceptable.

Ken Arnold ( arnold@apollo.hp.com ) wrote the well-known BSD fortune
program. He posted a new version with an updated database to
comp.sources.unix a while ago.  Warning, the database of fortunes
is getting pretty big!  Also, you should still be able to submit
new fortunes to fortune@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

Now, I just hope Ken doesn't come across the hall with his Nerf(TM)
bat and brain me for giving out his address....

		=brian
--
Internet: brian@apollo.hp.com
UUCP:     {decvax,mit-eddie,umix}!apollo!brian