[comp.sys.hp] chfn

davidb@Pacer.UUCP (David Barts) (08/14/89)

I have discovered a bug in th HP-UX 6.2 chfn command.  If
you have any accounts with password aging in effect, chfn
will zap the ages from /etc/passwd when it is run.

Has this been fixed in 6.5 (we'll be upgrading soon)?  If
not, when will it be fixed?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this one has already been
reported to the net.
--
David Barts			Pacer Corporation
davidb@pacer.uucp		...!fluke!pacer!davidb

hesh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Chris Steinbroner) (08/16/89)

> I have discovered a bug in th HP-UX 6.2 chfn command.  If
> you have any accounts with password aging in effect, chfn
> will zap the ages from /etc/passwd when it is run.

> Has this been fixed in 6.5 (we'll be upgrading soon)?  If
> not, when will it be fixed?

it is fixed in 6.5.

-- hesh
-- hesh%hpda@hplabs.hp.com

kamat@uceng.UC.EDU (Govind N. Kamat) (09/11/89)

In article <242@zircon.UUCP> davidb@Pacer.UUCP (David Barts) writes:

   I have discovered a bug in th HP-UX 6.2 chfn command.  If
   you have any accounts with password aging in effect, chfn
   will zap the ages from /etc/passwd when it is run.

This irritating bug has been around for quite some time; I think we
reported it more than a year ago... I'm not exactly sure why HP is
dragging its feet on correcting it.  In any case, the fix is rather
minor and I can make it available if anyone wishes.

   Thanks in advance and sorry if this one has already been
   reported to the net.

Yes, it has :-)

   --
   David Barts			Pacer Corporation
   davidb@pacer.uucp		...!fluke!pacer!davidb

--
Govind N. Kamat 			College of Engineering
kamat@uceng.UC.EDU			University of Cincinnati