[comp.sys.hp] mac, HP Deskjet, Imagewriter LQ

root@gmbh.UUCP (Admin) (08/31/89)

There are several questions correlated to usage of the HP Deskjet
Printer (300 dpi ink-jet) with the Grappler LQ interface on a mac
SE (System 6.03 Finder 5.0):

1st Question:
With the Grappler comes the driver Imagewriter LQ version 1.0.
With the mac comes version 2.0. What is the difference?

2nd Question:
Imagewriter LQ version 1.0 works fine with the Grappler if booted
and if selected by the chooser DA. Version 2.0 only works if selected
by the chooser. In this case print dialogs show version 2.0, but
only garbage comes out of the printer. What's the reason?

3rd Question:
Are there printer drivers for the Deskjet other than Grappler?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and answers to one (or all)
of the above questions, especially on the topic of differences between
the two versions.

Thanks in advance,

Rudolf Raith
MAD Intelligent Systems GmbH
Kronstadterstrasse 9
8000 Muenchen
Federal Republic of Germany

willa@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Will Allen ) (09/02/89)

Rolf:

Using a DeskJet on a Mac is unsupported by HP.

The supported combination is a Mac and an HP DeskWriter.  DeskWriter is
basically a version of DeskJet designed specifically for the MacIntosh by
HP.  No third party interface adapter is required.  Just load the driver,
plug in with a standard cable, and GO at 300 dpi.

I'm not sure what our international distribution strategy is.  Try asking
for info at your Apple dealer.

Regards,
Will Allen, HP Vancouver "Home of DeskJet and DeskWriter" Division

willa@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Will Allen ) (09/02/89)

Rudolph:

Sorry I got your name wrong.  Egg on my face.

. . .Will

parent@apple.com (Sean Parent) (09/12/89)

In article <508@gmbh.UUCP> root@gmbh.UUCP (Admin) writes:
> There are several questions correlated to usage of the HP Deskjet
> Printer (300 dpi ink-jet) with the Grappler LQ interface on a mac
> SE (System 6.03 Finder 5.0):
>
> 1st Question:
> With the Grappler comes the driver Imagewriter LQ version 1.0.
> With the mac comes version 2.0. What is the difference?
>
> 2nd Question:
> Imagewriter LQ version 1.0 works fine with the Grappler if booted
> and if selected by the chooser DA. Version 2.0 only works if selected
> by the chooser. In this case print dialogs show version 2.0, but
> only garbage comes out of the printer. What's the reason?

You have an old version of the Grappler LQ (version 1.0). Please contact
Orange Micro at (714) 779-2772 about an upgrade. I believe the latest
version is 1.7. It works with the new ImageWriter LQ driver 2.0 (actualy
the driver is a year old now).  It is faster and has a much improved draft
mode. Also the 2.0 driver fixes the way the text is layed out for much
improved output.

Sean Parent