[comp.sys.hp] when will hp-ux 7.0 be out?

wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) (09/12/89)

i have seen several articles lately that say that hp has announce
hp-ux 7.0.  i also remember hearing in this news group that 7.0 would
be available sometime this fall.  (that was last spring/early summer)
my sales rep just told me last week not to expect it before st patty's
day.

can some one clear this up?  is 7.0 going to be release at the same
time for the 300, 600 and 800's?  could it be that the 300's version
of 7.0 wont be available until spring and the 600/800's version will
be available "real soon now"?

-wayne

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (09/15/89)

Wayne Schlitt of Design Data writes:

> Is 7.0 going to be release at the same time for the 300, 600 and 800's?
> Could it be that the 300's version of 7.0 wont be available until
> spring and the 600/800's version will be available "real soon now"?

Wayne,

	According to Hewlett-Packard, HP-UX release 7.0 is currently on
schedule for release November 5th, 1989.  This release will represent
the first major 'shared source' release of the HP-UX operating system
and should also go quite a long way to erasing the differences between
the 300 and 800 architectures.

Further, HP-UX 7.0 is also going to be released, simultaneously, for
the 9000/300 and 9000/800 computers [the 600 line is simply a difference
in ordering configuration (file server configs) of the 800 line of
computers from Hewlett-Packard, btw, so they will receive series 800
tapes as would any other 800 computer, including the newly released
9000/808 8-user HP-PA computer].  This demonstrates that 7.0 also
marks the first synchronized release of new versions of HP-UX for
both the 300 and 800 line; something that HP is committed to continuing
for the rest of HP-UX's life...

While it is true that I cannot actually speak for HP, nor commit them
to any ship date, this information was gleaned this week from members of
HP's executive council during the San Francisco INTEREX conference.  I
have no reason to doubt their veracity.

		Feel free to send further questions directly...

						-- Dave Taylor

Intuitive Systems				UNIX Editor
Mountain View, California			"The HP Chronicle"

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or    taylor%limbo.uucp@decwrl.dec.com
	     {uunet!} { decwrl, apple } !limbo!taylor

frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) (09/15/89)

In article <WAYNE.89Sep12085914@dsndata.uucp> wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) writes:
>can some one clear this up?  is 7.0 going to be release at the same
>time for the 300, 600 and 800's?

Er, what's a 600?
--
Frank Wales, Systems Manager,        [frank@zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217