[comp.sys.hp] uugetty doesn't print /etc/issue

wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) (08/23/89)

I just cut over to using /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty instead of /etc/getty on
my 9000/370 running HP-UX 6.5.  uugetty doesn't print /etc/issue.  I've
tried modes 444, 644, 666, and 777 for /etc/issue.

Am I missing something?
--
	       Bruce Wehr (wehr%dptc.decnet@srlvx0.srl.ford.com)
    (...!mailrus!sharkey!fmeed1!wehr) (wehr%fmeed1.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu)

rdg@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Rob Gardner) (08/29/89)

> I just cut over to using /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty instead of /etc/getty on
> my 9000/370 running HP-UX 6.5.  uugetty doesn't print /etc/issue.  I've
> tried modes 444, 644, 666, and 777 for /etc/issue.

I don't know why uugetty doesn't print /etc/issue, but just out
of curiousity, what is your reason for using uugetty?

raab

ronw@hpuflfa.HP.COM (Ron Williams) (08/29/89)

>I don't know why uugetty doesn't print /etc/issue, but just out
>of curiousity, what is your reason for using uugetty?
>
>raab
>----------

uugetty should be used when a TTY port is shared for dial-in & dial-out.
uugetty understands about uucp lock files and will defer to a uucp dial-out.
getty can and usually does "get in the way".

Ron Williams       HP Ft. Lauderdale       ronw@hpfcse
------------       TEL: T-938-2278         {hpfcse}!hpuflfa!ronw
                   FAX: T-938-2293         COMSYS: 3179
                   AREA CODE: 305          HPDESK: Ron Williams / HP3179/07

rdg@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Rob Gardner) (08/30/89)

> >I don't know why uugetty doesn't print /etc/issue, but just out
> >of curiousity, what is your reason for using uugetty?
>
> uugetty should be used when a TTY port is shared for dial-in & dial-out.
> uugetty understands about uucp lock files and will defer to a uucp dial-out.
> getty can and usually does "get in the way".

It shouldn't. That is uugetty's usual function on non-HPUX systems,
but HPUX has had shared dial-in/dial-out port support for years and
years and years. Take a look at the sys admin manual; It explains
how to set up the device files so that the getty will remain
hung throughout a uucp or cu session without interference. The
opposite is also true: uucp or cu will be shut out while a live
incoming call is in progress.

The fact that we have this capability is what prompted me to ask
why somebody would use uugetty. I thought perhaps they had some
special situation that warranted it (ie, hardwired direct connection),
or maybe they just didn't know about this capability.

raab

wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) (08/30/89)

In article <1080078@hpfcmgw.HP.COM>, rdg@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Rob Gardner) writes:
> > uugetty should be used when a TTY port is shared for dial-in & dial-out.
> > uugetty understands about uucp lock files and will defer to a uucp dial-out.
> > getty can and usually does "get in the way".
>
> It shouldn't. [...]
> [...] uucp or cu will be shut out while a live
> incoming call is in progress.

Live incoming calls do not create lock files.  While an open will fail
if an incoming call is in progress, cu reports 'line problem' instead of
the more appropriate 'device not available' (which it *would* report if
there was a lock file).  We also have some utilities that check for the
presence of lock files.

We *have* been using HP-UX's method of dial-in/dial-out port control.
In addition, our /etc/profile creates a lock file for users logging on,
and traps log-offs to run a script that removes them.  This has been
sufficient until I started allowing incoming uucp calls (since uucico is
the 'users' login program, instead of sh or ksh, no lock files are
created).  uugetty solves this problem by creating a lock file whenever
is detects anyone logging in.

I hope this clarifies the reason for using uugetty.  Now, if only
someone would answer the original question :-) (why doesn't uugetty
print /etc/issue?).
--

paul@prcrs.UUCP (Paul Hite) (09/05/89)

In article <3645@fmeed1.UUCP>, wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) writes:

>                                                      Now, if only
> someone would answer the original question :-) (why doesn't uugetty
> print /etc/issue?).

The code to display /etc/issue is part of the paragraph that displays the
system name as well.  That paragraph is #ifdef'ed out in the 3.0 source code
product.  If the paragraph gets #ifdef'ed back in, uugetty will display the
system name and then display /etc/issue.

So I guess that I don't really know why uugetty doesn't display /etc/issue,
but it's not under your control.

Paul Hite   PRC Realty Systems  McLean,Va   uunet!prcrs!paul    (703) 556-2243
                      DOS is a four letter word!

mcf@statware.UUCP (Mathieu Federspiel) (09/06/89)

In article <1080078@hpfcmgw.HP.COM> rdg@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Rob Gardner) writes:

>but HPUX has had shared dial-in/dial-out port support for years and
>years and years. Take a look at the sys admin manual; It explains
>how to set up the device files so that the getty will remain
>hung throughout a uucp or cu session without interference. The

In the real world this isn't so easy.  I wasted days trying to
get a dial-in/dial-out port working on my 500 without getty
grabbing everything I wanted to send.  I was so glad to see
uugetty when the 800 arrived, hoping my 500 work-around would
not be needed.  It was not.

There is a place for uugetty, Rob, else why would HP ship it?

--
Mathieu Federspiel                  mcf%statware.uucp@cs.orst.edu
Statware                            {hp-pcd,tektronix}!orstcs!statware!mcf

rdg@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Rob Gardner) (09/09/89)

> In the real world this isn't so easy.  I wasted days trying to
> get a dial-in/dial-out port working on my 500 without getty
> grabbing everything I wanted to send.  I was so glad to see
> uugetty when the 800 arrived, hoping my 500 work-around would
> not be needed.  It was not.

Puzzles me; It should have worked.  Actually, we didn't always have
the dial-in/out capability, but we have had it for many years now. How
long ago did you have your unsolvable problems?

> There is a place for uugetty, Rob, else why would HP ship it?

I never said there was no place for uugetty. I just think that in most
cases it is not needed, and was checking to see if perhaps this was
one of those cases. And, to answer your question, we ship some useless
things (IMHO) just so we can say we conform to some standard. If you
really believe that HP is so benevolent, then we would like you quote
you in some sales literature ;-) ;-)

Rob

dunlap@apl-em.UUCP (John Dunlap) (09/12/89)

We've been running 500's for years with dial-in/dial-out on the
same port.  Works just like the manual says -- perfect.

John Dunlap
Applied Physics Lab
University of Washington

rclark@speclab.bgp-usgs.gov (Roger N. Clark) (09/15/89)

> We've been running 500's for years with dial-in/dial-out on the
> same port.  Works just like the manual says -- perfect.

Ditto for USGS.  We've had up to 3 modems on a 500, dial in and
out.  Never a problem.  (I have 3 on my 825 and I do have problems,
but it may be my configuration; I've got to spend some time looking
at it).

Roger N. Clark
..!speclab!rclark