[comp.sys.hp] Help! Kermit needed OR HP/IB assist.

mjb%hoosier.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Mark Bradakis) (09/26/89)

In article <2110@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> sellswor@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Scott Ellsworth) writes:

>I also can't get a directory from the 9836 of the 7958B disk drive,
>regardless of how it is connected.

Does the 9836 have a hard disk drive?  You can use lif* to look at LIF
dirs on the hpux system, but no inverse facilities exist as far as I know
for reading hpux disks on the pascal system.

mjb.

mjb@hoosier.utah.edu

"I've seen some nasty deserts, Lord, but this one here's the worst!"

sellswor@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Scott Ellsworth) (09/26/89)

  I have a program on an HP 9836 that I would desprately like
to get to our Vax.  I can do this if I can get a copy of Kermit for the
9836 on a 5 1/4 disk.  Can anyone help?  (The program is many hundred K,
so typing it in by hand from hardcopy is really not an option)

  If not, I may be able to get the critter there across the network if I
can get it to talk to our hp 9000/300 running hp-ux, unknown version.  I
have no idea what that would entail.  Someone told me that I should be
able to send it over the hp/IB bus, but I can't get either end to tell
me that the other is there when they are connected with an hp/IB cable.
I also can't get a directory from the 9836 of the 7958B disk drive,
regardless of how it is connected.

  The 9836 is running what looks like a standard p-system, labelled
  Demo 2.X1 4-Mar-83.

  resources: hp/IB connectors on everything.
             rs232 port on the 9836

  Send E-Mail before sending disks, we will reimburse for shipping etc.

  Thanks very much.

                Scott Ellsworth
               sellswor@jarthur.claremont.edu
                SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX
--
                                   Scott Ellsworth
                                   SELLSWOR@HMCVAX

stanb@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Stan Bischof) (09/26/89)

**>I also can't get a directory from the 9836 of the 7958B disk drive,
**>regardless of how it is connected.

**Does the 9836 have a hard disk drive?  You can use lif* to look at LIF
**dirs on the hpux system, but no inverse facilities exist as far as I know
**for reading hpux disks on the pascal system.

**mjb.

  PAWS 3.2 and later has full HFS capability. i.e. can read your
  HPUX disk just fine. Just use the FILER or EDITOR or whatever as
  you normally would for LIF. The HPUX disk looks/feels just about
  exactly like an SRM.

  Basic Workstation 5 or later also can do this.

  Where this really comes in handy is if you use two or more of the
  above operating systems- all three can co-exist on the same HFS
  disk.

  Stan Bischof
  NMD

steve-t@hpfcso.HP.COM (Steve Taylor) (09/27/89)

// sellswor@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Scott Ellsworth) //
// Subject: Help!  Kermit needed OR HP/IB assist. //
}                                      Someone told me that I should be
} able to send it over the hp/IB bus, but I can't get either end to tell
} me that the other is there when they are connected with an hp/IB cable.

Probably both HP-IB ports are configured as bus controller.  One of them
will need to be switched to non-controller.  I would *guess* that this
would be easier on the 9836, but that's based on experience using HP BASIC,
not Pascal or HP-UX.  I don't know what you need to tell the software
after you make the switch.

}  The 9836 is running what looks like a standard p-system, labelled
}  Demo 2.X1 4-Mar-83.

I don't recognize this identification string.  The current version of the
Pascal Workstation is 3.22.  It looks like a p-system, but the compiler
goes to native code, and the libraries contain HP device I/O and graphics
extensions.  You may need the I/O extensions to talk to the HP-IB as
non-controller.

// mjb%hoosier.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Mark Bradakis) //
} >I also can't get a directory from the 9836 of the 7958B disk drive,
} >regardless of how it is connected.

} Does the 9836 have a hard disk drive?  You can use lif* to look at LIF
} dirs on the hpux system, but no inverse facilities exist as far as I know
} for reading hpux disks on the pascal system.

The lif* utilities should also work for floppy drives.  Starting with version
3.2 the Pascal Workstation can use the HFS (HP-UX) disk format, in addition
to LIF.
						Regards, Steve Taylor

NOT A STATEMENT, OFFICIAL OR OTHERWISE, OF THE HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPANY.

steve-t@hpfcso.HP.COM (Steve Taylor) (09/28/89)

// steve-t@hpfcso.HP.COM (Steve Taylor) //
} } Does the 9836 have a hard disk drive?
} The lif* utilities should also work for floppy drives.

Another thought.  If there's no external floppy drive, perhaps the 9000/300
has a 9144 tape drive.  If so, you might try connecting it to the 9836.  Put
in a spare tape and run MEDIAINIT to make it a LIF file system.  Copy the
files onto the tape using the Filer.  Then move over to the 9000/300 and use
the lif* utilities to copy the files to HP-UX.

I would expect this to work, if the software you have is at proper revision
levels, but I have not tried it, so there may be a hitch somewhere that I
don't know about.  Good Luck.