[comp.sys.hp] Looking for LaTeX...

raveling@isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (09/16/89)

	Has anyone ported LaTeX to HP 9000/300 series machines?
	We're looking for it.

	Guess I should inquire about TeX, texx, & texx2 also...
	I believe Bo Thide recently mentioned them but weren't they
	generated for 800 series machines?  We run TeX on VAXes now,
	but I didn't have much success with getting a workable font
	configuration for either texx or texx2.

----------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide') (09/23/89)

In article <9689@venera.isi.edu> raveling@isi.edu (Paul Raveling) writes:

>	Has anyone ported LaTeX to HP 9000/300 series machines?
>	We're looking for it.
>
>	Guess I should inquire about TeX, texx, & texx2 also...
>	I believe Bo Thide recently mentioned them but weren't they
>	generated for 800 series machines?  We run TeX on VAXes now,
                      ^^^ INCORRECT! (See below.)
>	but I didn't have much success with getting a workable font
>	configuration for either texx or texx2.

Presently the HP TeX package contains TeX 2.93, METAFONT, LaTeX, PiCTeX,
xdvi (X11 and X10 versions), texx (X11 version) in C source.  They compile
and run OK on *BOTH* the HP9000/300 and 800 series machines.  All but a few
also run on the 9000/500.  For convenience, we have included the most important
compiled binaries for 300 and 800 too.  Even if 'texx2' is currently missing
in the package, there are still two other fully functional X11R2 previewers
included ('xdvi' and 'texx') plus an X10R4 one ('xdvi').

There are a few ftp sites being set up but you may alternatively send
me a 150 ft (16Mb) HP streamer cassette and I'll make a 'tar' copy
for you.

My full mail address is:

   Swedish Institute of Space Physics
   S-755 91 Uppsala
   Sweden

(No street or P.O. box needed).

--Bo

   ^   Bo Thide'--------------------------------------------------------------
 /|F|\        INTERNET: bt@irfu.se       UUCP: ...!uunet!sunic!irfu!bt
 ~~U~~ -----------------------------------------------------------------sm5dfw

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (09/24/89)

In article <1186@kuling.UUCP> irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide') writes:
>In article <9689@venera.isi.edu> raveling@isi.edu (Paul Raveling) writes:

>>	Has anyone ported LaTeX to HP 9000/300 series machines?
>>	We're looking for it.

>There are a few ftp sites being set up but you may alternatively send

Bo's TeX package is available for anonymous distribution from
me10.lbl.gov (128.3.128.110). Standard disclaimers apply.

John Milburn - Advanced Light Source - Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
INTERNET: JEMilburn@lbl.gov   BITNET:    JEMilburn@LBL.bitnet
UUCP:      {...}!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn
SnailMail: 1 Cyclotron Road 46-161 Berkeley, Ca. 94720  Ph:  (415) 486-6969

raveling@isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (09/27/89)

In article <3861@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn)
writes:
> In article <1186@kuling.UUCP> irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide') writes:
>
> >There are a few ftp sites being set up but you may alternatively send
>
> Bo's TeX package is available for anonymous distribution from
> me10.lbl.gov (128.3.128.110). Standard disclaimers apply.

	Thanks folks, I've picked up the most recent copy.
	Besides Bo Thide' and John Milburn, thanks are due to Scott
	Hammond, who physically carried a tape of an earlier
	version into my office.  Thanks also to Michael Glad
	Mike Caldwell, who offered advice and help if the
	more reachable FTP sources hadn't materialized.

	At the first tentative check of LaTeX, it looks good.
	On a 28-page document that has some demanding features
	such as graphs and math, speed is about a tie between
	my 370 and our VAX 8650.  I can preview most of it with
	an old version of XDVI that's tolerant of missing fonts,
	but will have to track down problems (probably all missing
	fonts) with other previewers and print programs.  Tomorrow
	I'll look at merging in fonts from our VAX directories.

	But we're making progress...  if we discover anything
	that may be of help to others I'll report back on it.

----------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu

raveling@isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (09/29/89)

In article <9894@venera.isi.edu>, raveling@isi.edu (Paul Raveling) writes:

> 	But we're making progress...  if we discover anything
> 	that may be of help to others I'll report back on it.

	The first things that needed attention were the fonts in
	the pk300 directory.  These are symbolic links to files
	in subdirectories named '*pt' (like '10pt'), but they
	all referred to path a path of the form
	/7959/usr/local/lib/tex/fonts/pk300/*pt.  (Might be
	misremembering the number.)  It was necessary to redo
	all of these symbolic links.

	I'm trying the latest xdvi from expo.lcs.mit.edu, and
	it looks good except for sometimes blowing up with a
	floating point exception, possibly on graphic special
	functions.

	Which program(s) do people use for printing .dvi files?

	(We have 2 different lpr programs plus lp, and the first
	try at printing a dvi file flopped.  Will try a bit later
	to generate iptex...)

Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu