[comp.sys.hp] Kudos HP! Local Unix user groups...

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (09/29/89)

In the midst of our usual HP bashing, I came across a note that I
thought people might find interesting about something that HP does
a fine job of, though they don't advertise it much...

This particular area that I think HP gets very little credit for assisting
in is the sponsorship and aid they give to many many local Unix user groups
around the United States, and probably the world.

What reminded me of this was an email message I got this afternoon from a
chap associated with the Dallas/Fort Worth Unix Users Group.  He says,
rather matter-of-factly:

> ... the DFW uug meets the first Thursday of the month at Hewlett-Packard
> in Las Colinas.  We get about 300 people, refreshments (egg rolls,
> sandwiches, pastries, etc.) courtesy of Hewlett-Packard...

Not only is HP allowing their meeting facilities to be utilized (which
they also do in the Silicon Valley for the local SVNET meetings), but
the local sales office is spending $$ to ensure that the attendees
have some food to munch on and generally have a more pleasant time.

GOOD JOB!!

Further, HP was also instrumental in the impressive INTEREX HP Users
Group conference in San Francisco a few weeks ago, as I reported on
here in this newsgroup a while back.  Donating computers, people,
time, and money, as well as much talent, HP really made the difference
in a staggeringly large conference!

	Just some positive vibes.  Things to think about when you
	are poised and ready to complain about how HP doesn't seem
	to give half a hoot about your needs and interests...

				From the occasional soapbox of,

						-- Dave Taylor

Intuitive Systems				Unix Editor
Mountain View, California			"The HP Chronicle"

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

edwardm@hpcuhc.HP.COM (Edward McClanahan) (09/30/89)

Dave Taylor writes:

> Not only is HP allowing their meeting facilities to be utilized (which
> they also do in the Silicon Valley for the local SVNET meetings), but
> the local sales office is spending $$ to ensure that the attendees
> have some food to munch on and generally have a more pleasant time.

> GOOD JOB!!

Much as I appreciate Dave's complement to HP, I believe it is Apple that
provides the meeting place for the local SVNET here in Silicon Valley.
As I am not a member of SVNET, perhaps I am unaware of either 1) a recent
change in meeting locations, or 2) an additional local SVNET group here
in the Valley.  I just went to one meeting several months ago to hear
Avidas Tevanian (sp?) of NeXT, Inc. speek about Mach.  Incidently, this
meeting is the third Tuesday of each month at Apple, 10500 N. De Anza Blvd.
here in Cupertino (or, atleast it was several months ago).

  Edward McClanahan
  Hewlett Packard Company
  Mail Stop 47UE              -or-     edwardm%hpda@hplabs.hp.com
  19447 Pruneridge Avenue
  Cupertino, CA  95014                 Phone: (408)447-5651