[comp.sys.hp] HP 150 microcomputer - can it be IBM compatible??

seb022@tijc02.UUCP (Scott Bemis ) (10/10/89)

October 9, 1989

    I am trying to determine if a Hewlett Packard 150
microcomputer is IBM compatible or can be "made" IBM compatible via a
few tricks.    A non-profit organization (a local symphony) has received this
HP microcomputer via a donation.   The symphony manager is trying to get this
HP 150 microcomputer working to solve his problems.
   The donor stated that this microcomputer was not IBM compatible (he had
bought another IBM compatible microcomputer and donated this HP microcomputer
to the local symphony).  I am trying to determine if the donor was
correct, or was not aware of a few possible tricks to make this HP
150 microcomputer IBM compatible.
    If this HP 150 microcomputer can not be made "IBM compatible", could
you tell me where can I obtain software for this computer (I still get
catalogs for the Texas Instruments 99/4A home computer which "died" in 1984.
I am curious if such catalogs exist for this  HP 150 microcomputer).    I
would like to get this HP 150 microcomputer working for the local
symphony.  Otherwise, I will have to beg to get an IBM compatible for
the local symphony.

Here are some more details on the Hewlett Packard microcomputer and it's
operating system software.

I received this information listed below from the computer maintenance
invoice.  It describes this computer in a slightly different way.

          Hewlett Packard Touchscreen System product model 45650A,
          Hewlett Packard CPU product model 45611A, Serial number 2412A34926
	  with attached peripherals (HPIB Think Jet Printer model 2225A
          and two 9121D/S  3.5 inch diskette drives)

          Here is what is on the labels on the 3.5 inch operating
          system diskettes.

          HP Series 100
          HP 150 Sys_master
          45621-13001       A.01.04       2402
          P.A.M.  (A.01.02)        HPBIOS (A.01.02)
          MSDOS (2.01)            MSDOS COMMANDS (2.10)
          FORMAT(A.01.06)          DEV CONFIG(A.01.00)

Please forward any replies, comments, suggestions to me.

Scott Bemis
Texas Instruments
P.O. Drawer 1255  M/S 3517
Johnson City, Tennessee, U.S.A.   37605-1255
Telephone:  (615) 461-2959
e-mail:  mcnc!rti!tijc02!seb022

swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (10/10/89)

Try contacting   peter@pawl.rpi.edu    who has posted his desire to
pass on some HP150 stuff.

andrews@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Edward E. Andrews) (10/10/89)

There are a couple of types of compatibility for IBM PC's:

	1) DOS compatible.  That is, the DOS function calls (INT 21h)
	   are supported (plus a couple of others such as INT 25h and
	   INT 26h for disks).
	2) BIOS compatible.  That is, software interrupts to system BIOS
	   will works as expected.  BIOS compatible implies DOS compatible
	   too.
	3) Hardware compatible.  This is what everybody tries to be.  99.9%
	   IBM work-alike.

The HP150 is DOS compatible.  If your program just makes DOS function calls
for all I/O (screen, keyboard, and disk), then your program will work.
The types of programs that will not work are: TSR's, keyboard enhancers,
any disk utility program (the disk layout is slightly different than an
IBM clone).

All is not lost however.  If you want to do your own programming,  TURBO-
C will will run on the HP150 (an so will the complied programs) if you
make one change to TURBO-C.  You must remove the INT 1ah in CC.ASM and
reassemble it before you run any program compiled with TURBO-C.  Also,
do not call any of the graphic functions et al that are marked as IBM only
in the reference manual.

Hope this helps.

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (10/11/89)

In article <706@tijc02.UUCP> seb022@tijc02.UUCP (Scott Bemis         ) writes:

>October 9, 1989
>
>    I am trying to determine if a Hewlett Packard 150
>microcomputer is IBM compatible or can be "made" IBM compatible via a
>few tricks.

It is not IBM-compatible.  I understand there's a piece of software
kicking around that allows it to run some IBM software, but I'm not
sure how complete it is.  If you have CompuServe access, the HP forum
is a good place to ask.

What do you need it to do?  It does run basic software such as
WordStar, Lotus 1-2-3, etc.  And it's a lovely terminal emulation
machine.

gdk@hpindda.HP.COM (Gary Koerzendorfer) (10/12/89)

seb022@tijc02.UUCP (Scott Bemis         ) writes:

>     I am trying to determine if a Hewlett Packard 150
> microcomputer is IBM compatible or can be "made" IBM compatible via a
> few tricks.
>     If this HP 150 microcomputer can not be made "IBM compatible", could
> you tell me where can I obtain software for this computer

The HP-Direct catalog lists software and hardware for the HP-150. Their number
is 800-538-8787 (6:00 AM to 5:00 PM California time). The catalog contains
~160 pages of hardware, software, supplies, furniture, books, etc.

Gary   gdk@hpda.hp.com

scott@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Scott Linn) (10/12/89)

/ hpcvca:comp.sys.hp / seb022@tijc02.UUCP (Scott Bemis         ) /  8:07 pm  Oct  9, 1989 /

>    I am trying to determine if a Hewlett Packard 150
>microcomputer is IBM compatible or can be "made" IBM compatible via a
>few tricks.    A non-profit organization (a local symphony) has received this
>HP microcomputer via a donation.   The symphony manager is trying to get this
>HP 150 microcomputer working to solve his problems.

----------

You didn't mention what kind of software you wanted to run.  And, you didn't
mention if you need to plug in a board, etc.  This makes quite a difference.

The HP150 is only MSDOS compatible.  There is a program available to
make it mostly BIOS compatible.  This still doesn't cover plug-in
boards or programs which write directly to screen memory.

Please supply more information if you want more accurate replies.

Scott Linn
hplabs!scott@hpcvcbh

joseph@hpuplca.HP.COM ( Joseph Hohl ) (10/13/89)

> Does anyone know if HP still supports the 150? Do they still
> sell software? If anyone is interested, I have a bunch of it
> I would like to get rid of.
> --
> Peter Katsos
> peter@pawl.rpi.edu
> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

HP still 'supports' the HP-150 but we don't still sell it.  Support
means that we will still service the machine and the Response Center
will still answer questions on use of the machine.  Both hardware and
software support can be provided with monthly service contracts. Such
contracts cover all repairs due to normal failure (as opposed to failure
due to abuse) for hardware contracts and unlimited calls for Response
Center Support.  HP will 'support' a product either five or ten years
after the date it is taken off of the corporate price list.  In the case
of the Touchscreen it is five years.  In the case of the HP-9000s (our
family of HP-UX machines) the support life is ten years.  As for software
for the HP-150, HP just took the major software products (Executive
MemoMaker, Lotus 1-2-3, Executive Card Manager, Graphics Gallery, MicroSoft
Word, etc...) for the Touchscreen off of the corporate price list on
October 1, 1989.  I hope this helps.

Joseph

#include STANDARD_DISCLAIMER