[comp.sys.hp] HP in the UK, where are they?

linebarg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Steve Linebarger) (10/03/89)

Hello Net.folks ( especially readers in the UK )

	I'm a anglophilic (sp?) consultant and HP (mpe/mpexl/hp-ux/msdos)
	enthusiast/pundit that will be spending my honeymoon trip in Britian
	six weeks from now.

	Several years from now i'd like to work for HP in the UK, or i think
	so.  I'm trying to find out about long term future employment (even
	contracting) possibilities there.

	So far i've gotten this info (with some prelim ideas in {}).

		1. Its somewhat difficult to become an employee in the EEC.
			{ I think this is less of a problem for the    }
			{ technically adept person that has a position.}

		2. Hp instituted a hiring freeze due to swallowing Apollo.
			{ I'm sure this will be over by 1994 }

		3. HP has an "HP Labs" group in Bristol that IS on Usenet.
			{ Hello Nigel Rea, can i come visit your site ?  }
			{ Actually, i suspect i may not be seen as "Lab" }
			{ material, tho i've done some true research,its }
			{ all been in the commercial/industrial realm	 }

		4. There is a response Center (phone in customer support)
		   in a small (?) town near Reading called Winnersh. This
		   location is NOT on Usenet.
			{ I'm sure this is a circumstance that i could fit }
			{ into readily ( I Love support & fixing things as }
			{ well as being over qualified in 2 or 3 areas ).  }
			{ Potential solution to e-mail contact is HPdesk.  }

	And these are my questions.
		1. What is required to get a long-term work visa in the UK?

		2. Does anyone send the notes group HP.JOBS (HPF.JOBS,etc)
		   out as a mailing list or otherwise provide Usenet access?

		3. How else can i find out about positions within HP?

		4. Doesn't HP have a policy of only advertising positions
		   externally if there are no internal applicants in X weeks?
		   { Dave Taylor, do you know ? }

		5. What sort of town is Bristol? Heavy Industrial? Parklike?
		   Cold and clammy (climate)?

		6. Likewise for Winnersh (or Reading)

		7. Has anyone ever just called someone up from little more
		   info than is provided in a .Sig?  I'm tempted to call
		   Nigel Rea at HP Labs in Bristol to ask some of these
		   questions but i'm afraid it would be unsettling or rude.

		8. Is anyone familiar with a known way of sending Usenet
		   mail to someone that only has access to HPdesk mail?
		   Do HPdesk sites forward mail like uucp (i.e. are there
		   paths to users ) ?

		9. Are there many non academic sites that are adopting
		   HP-UX { can't help but see the postings from Zengrange } ?
		   Likewise is anyone doing any integrating of PCs or work-
		   stations with HP3000s (classic or HPPA) ?

	Unless this is a subject area that is fascinating to scores
	of people, please do respond via e-mail rather than posting.
	If i get more than a few responses i'll summarize.

	Thanks for reading and please let me know,
	Steve Linebarger	phone:  (214) 401-2800
				!path:  {WellConnected}!attctc!linebarg
				(under construction) attctc!hactar!srl
				@path: linebarg@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US
				cis:	73157,1323
				USmail: 2543 W. Royal Ln. #1901,
					Irving, TX. 75063-5635
--
S. Linebarger. attctc!Hactar!srl. linebarg@attctc. ci$73157,1323. Irving TX.
Has a disclaimer ever helped anyone stay out of trouble?  'Begin at the

spirit@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (10/06/89)

**** FLAME ON *****

This is NOT the place to ask this question.  If you don't know enough
about net etiquette to know that then get off the network!  Whether
or not you can find a job 5 years from now with anybody is of absolutley
no interest to anybody on the internet.

**** FLAME OFF *****

daveg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Dave Guggisberg) (10/09/89)

spirit seems to have the spirit of *sshole-itis.

But what do expect of someone who doesn't sign their flames.  A
little kindness and courtesy would go a long way.

Dave Guggisberg
daveg@cv.hp.com

djw@hpldsla.HP.COM (10/13/89)

> ...............................If you don't know enough
> about net etiquette to know that then get off the network!

With the tone of your response, it would seem that "net  etiquette" is a
contradiction in terms.

> or not you can find a job 5 years from now with anybody is of absolutely
> no interest to anybody on the internet.

Are you  really  in a  position  to be able to speak  with  such
absolute confidence for such a large number of people?

> Dave Guggisberg writes:
> A little kindness and courtesy would go a long way.

Here,  here!  There is enough  anger in the world,  without  the
kind of petty bickering that too often appears on the 'net.

djw@hpldsla.hp.com

rer@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Rob Robason) (10/13/89)

> If you don't know enough about net etiquette to know that then get off
> the network!

Of course, here is a sterling example of net etiquette :-(.  A little
simple education would be more appropriate than a flame.  This poor guy
still doesn't know where to post this, so did the flame really
accomplish anything, except for scaring one potentially contributing
reader off to satisfy one hostile one?

Rob Robason

P.S.  Personally, I was more interested in the note than the response.

spirit@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (10/18/89)

RE: my previous flame...

I would like to formally apologize for my original posting.
I was definitely out of line.

I was in a very hyped-up antagonistic mood when I read the
original posting.  To make matters worse I accidently pressed
"w" instead of "m" and so myself made a tremendous gaff
on the net.

As a form of retraction I would like to wish Steve L. the best of luck.
Just married, plans on working for one of the best computer
companies around, sounds like you're on the right track.  Sorry for
the unprovoked bashing.

		sincerely,
		spirit@uxe