[comp.sys.hp] Monitor 6.5, How To Solve The Problem

scott@grlab.UUCP (Scott Blachowicz) (10/09/89)

In article <1663@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> edwin@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Edwin Kremer) writes:
>In article <1306@oce-rd1.oce.nl> fva@oce-rd1.oce.nl (Frans van Aken) writes:
>  > Can anyone out there tell me if there is a version of the
>  > performance analysis tool 'monitor' Build on 6.5 HP-UX?
>Me too, please. We upgraded to HP-UX on our HP9000/370 (with 30
>diskless clients) and very soon I realized that I couldn't trust
>the figures presented by "monitor" any more.

Make sure you do a makecdf on the /etc/monitor_data file before trying
to use monitor from more than one node. Monitor on one node doesn't
like the other nodes' data files.
--
Scott Blachowicz                E-mail:  scott@grlab.UUCP
USPS:  Graphicus                 ..or..  ...!hpubvwa!grlab!scott

garvey@cmic.UUCP (Joe Garvey) (10/11/89)

In article <1690004@teecs.UUCP>, belkin@teecs.UUCP (Hershel Belkin) writes:
> I think it's obvious that many HP users find the monitor program extremely
> valuable.  I have managed to obtain each version of it (as required) from
> our early use of the 9000/550 to our current 825 without too much
> difficulty.  That it is unsupported has never bothered me (although
> about 3 years ago our local -- now dormant -- HP9000 user group submitted
> a group request to have it supported).  What _is_ bothersome is having
> to pester our SE to get it.

I'm sure your SE feels the same way about it. Not your fault it's the way
things are currently set up. I do the same to mine. :-)

> This is just one minor source of frustration associated with each major
> upgrade of HP-UX (or hardware system).  If HP is _really_ interested
> in improving things (and it sure looks like they are), how about
> a policy change with regard to monitor?  Let's see it in release 7!!

I agree HP seems to really want to help. The Western Response Center has
really pulled my *ss out the fire on many occasions. However, I get the
feeling that the MIS (read 3000) systems have been what generated all the $$
in the past. HPUX's day is finally arriving... (Hooray!!! :-)), but THE
GUYS IN CHARGE NOW GOT THERE ON THE MIS SYSTEMS. As an example, HP now
has a dial up help line for HPUX users. I tried it... they're trying to teach
me how to use a 3000. They failed misearably (don't know who's fault that
is :-)). The 3000's have been very very good to their career's, why change?

If on the other hand they had just set up a copy of the system we are using
now (THE NEWS), on some old junk 320's, added modems, and told the SE's to
field calls from there... (Note, Access would be limited to those on
support, and would act as a separate HP-NEWS NETWORK... kinda like they
run internally). Heck, they could even set the uucp config files up for the
these systems at the factory, since they put examples in there anyway.

I can see it now:

     mail -s "me10 bug" hpwrc!new_call
     I ran into this problem plotting from me10....

or
     postnews -n hp300.me10
     I ran into this problem plotting from me10....

Best of all, I'm sure other users would feel free to answer my question if
I posted it to hp300.me10, freeing the SE's to tackle the much harder
questions. WHAT A GREAT ALLOCATION OF RESOURCES! HP COULD BETTER SERVE MORE
CUSTOMERS, AT LOWER COST, BY GETTING THE CUSTOMERS TO HELP THEMSELVES... ALL
THEY'VE GOT TO DO IS SET UP A MAGNET TO GET A LARGER COMMUNITY OF INTEREST
GOING THAN THIS NEWS GROUP. Providing an HP-access (like public access) system
with archives, and news feeds would do it. There's how to get monitor to
everyone who wants a copy without making your SE nuts. Then of course there's
what a fellow engineer said to me... a hardware engineer reads magazines when
he's running low on things to do, a Unix SW engineer starts writing another
application... what a way to collect tools for future HPUX releases!

It's my impression the "news" software on the 3000 required lots of effort to
write. While they ignored this very popular system, worked out by hundreds (if
not thousands) of people. A system with that many helping it has got to have
something going for it... look at what works, and USE IT. Like everything
else, it can be abused... some folks here are ADDICTED TO USENET. Normal
Surgeon General's warnings and all that... :-)

BTW... have you looked at the maps. Many HP systems are quite old, both the
version of the OS, and the HW. Maybe this group's name should be
comp.sys.hp.geriatric :-). I've been waiting to say that for so long. I'm
glad I finally got it out. :-) Ahhh.

--

Joe Garvey                UUCP: {uunet,backbone}!amdahl!pyramid!mips!cmic!garvey
California Microwave      Internet: {ames}!mips!cmic!garvey

No we're not in the maps yet. Yes, I've posted our map entry.

diamant@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) (10/22/89)

> Around here, I've always had to compile copies using our source license.
> I would assume SE's do the same thing.  I suspect `monitor` only works
> "perfectly" when compiled on the machine its to be used for, and maybe
> thats why a single /usr/contrib/bin/monitor copy isn't possible.
> Some of the things monitor can provide seem awfully kernel/system
> dependent.

This is also not an official response, but I think I have a little more
specific info.  I've used monitor for a long time on several different
releases of HP-UX, and I have never had to recompile my own version.
What I did have to do is get the SE distribution binary for each new
HP-UX release.  SEs should have them available for each release of
HP-UX which is still supported.  It is dependent on kernel structures,
which is why a new versio is needed for each new HP-UX release, but
reconfigured kernels of the same release will work just fine.

John Diamant
Software Engineering Systems Division
Hewlett Packard Co.		ARPA Internet: diamant@hpfclp.sde.hp.com
Fort Collins, CO		UUCP:  {ihnp4!hpfcla,hplabs}!hpfclp!diamant