[comp.sys.hp] HPUX 6.5 help with X?screens image mode config

rosenbl@cis.ohio-state.edu (Robert Rosenblum) (10/25/89)

We're trying to configure our X?screens file to support both 8 and
24 bit X windows in the image planes.  It looks like this:

	/dev/crt depth 24 depth 8

But when X starts up, it complains and says this:

	Error in line 1 of your /usr/lib/X11/X1screens file.
	Only one depth may be requested in image mode
	Using first requested depth of 24.

The "Using Starbase with the X11 Windows System" manual received
with HP-UX 6.5 has an example where two depths are specified (on pg. 3-2):

	/dev/crt depth 6 depth 8

So it appears that it is possible to have two window depths.

Are we doing something wrong?  Does anyone know if it is possible
to use both 24 and 8 bit windows in the image planes in any of
the screen configuration modes?

This is running on an HP9000/370 with 24 bits in the image planes
and 3 bits in the overlay planes.

	Thanks in advance,

		Rob Rosenblum

Rob Rosenblum
The Ohio State University
2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
rosenbl@cis.ohio-state.edu
...!osu-cis!cis.ohio-state.edu!rosenbl

evgabb@sdrc.UUCP (rob gabbard) (10/25/89)

In article <71804@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, rosenbl@cis.ohio-state.edu (Robert Rosenblum) writes:
> We're trying to configure our X?screens file to support both 8 and
> 24 bit X windows in the image planes.  It looks like this:

I think the multiple depth configuration is only possible when running the X11
server on an SRX or Turbo SRX (HP98720A or HP98730A). The Starbase Programming
With X11 manual does not mention this but the Using The X Window System one
does. It may also be the case that you can only do it on a Turbo SRX running
the X server in combined mode - the documentation is kinda vague on this.

Rob Gabbard (uunet!sdrc!evgabb)                 _    /|
Workstation Systems Programmer                  \'o.O'
Structural Dynamics Research Corporation        =(___)=

kam@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Keith Marchington) (10/26/89)

rosenbl@cis.ohio-state.edu (Robert Rosenblum) writes:

> We're trying to configure our X?screens file to support both 8 and
> 24 bit X windows in the image planes.  It looks like this:
>
> 	/dev/crt depth 24 depth 8
>

> But when X starts up, it complains and says this:
>
> 	Error in line 1 of your /usr/lib/X11/X1screens file.
> 	Only one depth may be requested in image mode
> 	Using first requested depth of 24.
>
> The "Using Starbase with the X11 Windows System" manual received
> with HP-UX 6.5 has an example where two depths are specified (on pg. 3-2):
>
> 	/dev/crt depth 6 depth 8
>
> So it appears that it is possible to have two window depths.
>
> Are we doing something wrong?  Does anyone know if it is possible
> to use both 24 and 8 bit windows in the image planes in any of
> the screen configuration modes?

No, you are not doing anything wrong.  Image mode allows only one
depth.  The only way to get both 8-bit and 24-bit windows in the image
planes is to run in Combined Mode.  The manual is wrong about it.
(Thanks for pointing out the documentation error :-)

The rationale we used in deciding this was that the image planes are
only capable of one mode at a time, either 8-bit or 24-bit.  If you
are running in Image Mode, then the root window would be 8-bit.  When
the color focus shifted to a 24 bit window, the hardware would change
modes making most of the screen utterly obnoxious in appearence.  We
felt that this was too unappealing.

In Combined Mode however, the root window is in the overlay planes.
Thus, when you move to a 24 bit window, only other 8-bit windows would
be affected, but the root window (and most of your other windows) will
remain intact.

> 		Rob Rosenblum

Hope this explains things sufficiently.

Keith Marchington