[comp.sys.hp] ANSI console driver for S300 HP-UX 6.5 console wanted

wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) (10/19/89)

We are using a 3rd party package for windowing call Vermont Views.  It
works great with ANSI terminals.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work
correctly with HP terminals, because of the way that HP terminals work
(i.e.  my 9000/370 console).

There are two basic solutions - 1) Alter the way Vermont Views works, or
2) Alter the way the console works.  We are talking to Vermont Creative
Software about possibilities on the first option.  I am asking you for
possibilities on the second option.

The terminal type that the console emulates is controlled by the console
driver linked into the kernel.  Does anyone know of an ANSI (or VT100)
driver that I can link into my HP-UX 6.5 kernel for the S300 console?

Any information or leads are greatly appreciated.
--
	       Bruce Wehr (wehr%dptc.decnet@srlvx0.srl.ford.com)
    (...!mailrus!sharkey!fmeed1!wehr) (wehr%fmeed1.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu)

tml@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) (10/25/89)

In article <4229@fmeed1.UUCP> wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) writes:
>We are using a 3rd party package for windowing call Vermont Views.  It
>works great with ANSI terminals.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work
>correctly with HP terminals, because of the way that HP terminals work
>(i.e.  my 9000/370 console).

Er, are you serious?  Are you actually using the built-in terminal
emulator (I don't know if it's in the hardware or in the kernel) for
real work?  I had thought people only use it in single-user mode, when
updating the system, or when logging in, before X starts up.  If you
would use X (X is by default bundled with HP-UX nowadays, so you must
have it), xterm is an ANSI terminal emulator.  What kind of
"windowing" does this Vermont Views provide?
--
Tor Lillqvist, VTT/ATK

hamilton@hpirs.HP.COM (Eric Hamilton) (10/26/89)

Here's another possibility that you might consider-- run X windows on your
370 and then use Vermont Views within an xterm window.  I believe xterm
can emulate a VT102 terminal.

This may not be as efficient as a different console driver, although it
might not be too bad be since the X server grabs the display memory.  On
the plus side it uses existing parts, doesn't require coding, and even gets
you the network transparency of X too.

Eric Hamilton
General Systems Division
Hewlett Packard Co.
Cupertino, CA

As usual, I speak only for myself, not HP.  I only use windows and have
nothing to do with developing or supporting X or console drivers.

wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) (10/26/89)

In article <4287@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi>, tml@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) writes:
> Er, are you serious?  Are you actually using the built-in terminal
> emulator (I don't know if it's in the hardware or in the kernel) for
> real work?

Very serious (and I hope what we're doing is real work :-)

> [...] I had thought people only use it in single-user mode, when
> updating the system, or when logging in, before X starts up.  If you
> would use X (X is by default bundled with HP-UX nowadays, so you must
> have it), xterm is an ANSI terminal emulator.

The main problem using X is not X itself, but that our target systems
are 310's (soon to be 332's).  This is not the best platform for X.

> [...] What kind of
> "windowing" does this Vermont Views provide?

The other problem with X is something that Vermont Views cures:  We need
a windowing environment that runs on character-based terminals (we have
HDS 200's, which are VT100/TEK4010 clones).  HP terminals treat 'display
enhancements' differently enough to make it necessary to dive into Views
itself and modify it (if anyone else has looked into what it takes to
make HP terminals dance, and compare that to other 'normal' tubes, you
know what I mean).

We develop software to run automatic test equipment (rack'n'stack HPIB
instruments tied to a 310 [soon to be 332:=] controller).  A 370 is our
development system.  One future request is the ability for lab customers
to submit test requests electronically to the test stand.  They would
log into the stand over the Sytek network using HDS 200 terminals.  We
would like a window based user interface (hence Views).  It would be
nice if the test stand operators' interface (which would be the console)
could use the same windowing package.

I hope this posting clears up *why* I'm looking for the ANSI driver.
Now, can anyone out there help me?