[comp.sys.hp] HP BASIC

mic@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Mic Lacey) (10/25/89)

We have HP BASIC 4.0 and are running it on a HP310.  I am interested in
knowing if there is a newer ver. of HP BASIC out there that will run on
the 310 (I assume that there is)?  Please don't suggest something that runs
only under unix, I love unix, but the 310 doesn't, granted it can run unix
but it is severly underpowered to seriously run unix.

I am hoping that a newer version of HP BASIC will allow me to put multiple
statements on one line, this is very important to me, HP BASIC 4.0 won't
let me do this (at least I can't figure out how to do it).

Also I would like to know if I can get a version of HP BASIC that will run on
the 310 and on an PC type machine?  I am very interested in being able to run
the program that I write and develop on the 310 on MS-DOS based PC's and
I do not want to buy a hardware card to be able to make theses PC's run
my basic programs, I wan't a software solution only.

Heck as long as I am giving out my whish list I might well ask for one more
thing,  I would like to be able to compile my programs on my PC's.

Thanx in advance.

	-Mic Lacey (mic@sun.soe.calrkson.edu)

wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) (10/26/89)

In article <1989Oct25.003146.5557@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, mic@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Mic Lacey) writes:
> [...] I am interested in
> knowing if there is a newer ver. of HP BASIC out there that will run on
> the 310 (I assume that there is)?

HP BASIC 5.1x has been out for a while.  Can read/write HFS file
systems.  A must, in my opinion (it mates the best BASIC out there
(IMHO) with a non-brain-damaged file system).

> I am hoping that a newer version of HP BASIC will allow me to put multiple
> statements on one line, this is very important to me, HP BASIC 4.0 won't
> let me do this (at least I can't figure out how to do it).

Nope, sorry.  But if you're like me, you will learn to live without it.
HP BASIC has too many other nice features to flame it for that one.

> Also I would like to know if I can get a version of HP BASIC that will run on
> the 310 and on an PC type machine?

We have a demo copy of a program called HTBasic (High Tech BASIC).  It's
a Rocky Mountain BASIC interpreter for PC's.  The demo looks impressive,
and it looks like it's very compatible.  For anyone who's interested:

		TransEra Corporation
		3707 North Canyon Road
		Provo, UT 84604
		(801) 224-6550

They say thier demo disks are freely copyable - give them a call - I'm
sure they'd love to send you one.

> Heck as long as I am giving out my whish list I might well ask for one more
> thing,  I would like to be able to compile my programs on my PC's.

I don't know about that one, but, hey, anything's possible :-)

--
	       Bruce Wehr (wehr%dptc.decnet@srlvx0.srl.ford.com)
    (...!mailrus!sharkey!fmeed1!wehr) (wehr%fmeed1.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu)

wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) (10/28/89)

In article <1989Oct25.003146.5557@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> mic@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Mic Lacey) writes:

> We have HP BASIC 4.0 and are running it on a HP310.  I am interested in
> knowing if there is a newer ver. of HP BASIC out there that will run on
> the 310 (I assume that there is)?

yes, there is rmb 5.13 out.  it adds a lot of small features that are
real nice (like being able to do a "CLEAR ALPHA" instead of "OUTPUT 2
USING "#,K";"KK"").  it also provides a bunch of big features that you
may or may not care about.  it supports the same disc format that
hp-ux uses instead of just lif.

>                                    Please don't suggest something that runs
> only under unix, I love unix, but the 310 doesn't, granted it can run unix
> but it is severly underpowered to seriously run unix.

very true.  the 310 is not only not powerful enough to run hp-ux, but
it is no longer supported as a hp-ux platform.  you might consider
getting the 310->332 upgrade, but make sure you add an additional 4 to
8 meg just to run hp-ux.  that is, your 310 currently has 2 meg of
memory, make sure your 332 has at _least_ 6 meg.  and since your
choices are 4, 8 or 12 meg, you are stuck with either 8 or 12 meg.
if you are planning to use rmb/ux under x windows, make sure you have
at least 8-16 meg more than your basic workstation.

no, i am not kidding.  hp-ux takes a minimum of 2meg just to run.  if
you want to run rmb/ux, you will need at least 2meg of real memory
just to get a very small workspace that doesnt page like crazy.  if
you are using a couple meg to run your basic application, you have to
add memory on top of that.  if you want to run rmb/ux under X, make
sure you have you add 2 meg (_minimum_) just to run X.  and dont
forget to add a bunch of memory for every extra copy of rmb/ux that
you run under X.

*sigh*.  i love unix too, but it sure is a memory hog.  and the price
that hp charges for memory is almost a crime.   just yesterday i
bought 4 meg of fast memory (70ns) for a pc for $500.  hp will charge you
about $5000 for the same thing.  *grrr*.

> I am hoping that a newer version of HP BASIC will allow me to put multiple
> statements on one line, this is very important to me, HP BASIC 4.0 won't
> let me do this (at least I can't figure out how to do it).

no luck.  i doubt that that will ever be supported.  and dont look for
statement numbers greater than 32000 either.  *sigh*

> Also I would like to know if I can get a version of HP BASIC that will run on
> the 310 and on an PC type machine?  I am very interested in being able to run
> the program that I write and develop on the 310 on MS-DOS based PC's and
> I do not want to buy a hardware card to be able to make theses PC's run
> my basic programs, I wan't a software solution only.

yes, there is a very good production out call High-Tech Basic that
seems to be almost 100% compatible with rmb version 5.13.  the only
things that it is lacking (which are critical for our application) are
csubs and a good secure program.  check it out.  if you need an
address, send me an email message.  you might also be able to ask your
local hp rep because hp recommends the package for hp-vectras.

> Thanx in advance.
>
> 	-Mic Lacey (mic@sun.soe.calrkson.edu)

-wayne