[comp.sys.hp] stty : : Operation not supported

greg@umbc5.umbc.edu (Greg Sylvain) (10/27/89)

	Hello hello,

	I have a real pain in the ass problem and we can't seem to track it down.
	Here's how it goes, you can be reading your mail and when you try to hit
	return at the '?' prompt to go to the next message, an stty error occurs.
	It usually comes back with "stty : : Not A Terminal", and mail proceeds
	as if nothing ever happened.  This happens all the time, and seems to
	randomly.  And on some basic utilities, these errors will cause the
	program to crash.  Another one is when ever you start up a X client
	it usually comes back with "stty : : Can't assign requested address".
	This one always occurs when your trying to run a remote X client on
	another machine, and not always when you do it locally.  And there
	are a couple of others too, but I forgot.  It only happens when
	your logged in on the console and running X.

	We are running HP-UX 6.5 with X11R3.  I looked in the man pages
	under stty and ioctl(2) and found nothing.  Does anyone have
	any clue.

	Thanks alot,
	greg

edwin@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Edwin Kremer) (10/27/89)

In article <2455@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> greg@umbc5.umbc.edu (Greg Sylvain) writes:

  > I have a real pain in the ass problem and we can't seem to track it down.
  > Here's how it goes, you can be reading your mail and when you try to hit
  > return at the '?' prompt to go to the next message, an stty error occurs.
  > This one always occurs when your trying to run a remote X client on
  > another machine, and not always when you do it locally.

Hmm, I've seen things like this as well, but not that bad... I managed
to track the "Operation not supported on socket" problem down to users
that have "stty" commands in their '.cshrc' file instead of the '.login'
file.

I hope this is of any help to you. Good luck.

					--[ Edwin ]--
--
Edwin Kremer, Department of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Padualaan 14,  P.O. Box 80.089,  3508 TB  Utrecht,  The Netherlands

lee@hpurvmc.HP.COM ( Lee Rodberg (SE) ) (10/29/89)

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it is worth a try.

Create "/usr/lib/X11/Xconsoles" with an "*" (asterisk) as the only
data in the file.  This files specifies which displays are allowed
to grab the console.  This is used with the "-C" option to hpterm
and xterm.  This will get rid of the message that hpterm generates
in your .x11startlog about not being allowed to connect to the console.

Lee Rodberg
HP Rockville