[comp.sys.hp] HP a good platform for SW development???

peter@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Peter Schroeder) (10/24/89)

I am working on an HP9000/835 HP-UX 3.1 and really like the power it gives
me.

However, I've had a few frustrating experiences regarding the availability
of software development tools. The last few weeks I was told twice that
specific pieces of software were unavailable to me because I happen to be
using an HP machine and not a SUN. Mind you, I do not want to switch to a
SUN, but I am getting so frustrated with the lack of tools that I am starting
to wish I had a SUN.

How come that is so? The particular occasion that comes to mind is the
availability of the Renderman developemnt tools from Pixar which can be
gotten for SGI's (sic) and SUN's but not for HP. The other one was
Objectworks for C++ from ParcPlace Systems. Sorry, available for the SUN but
not the HP... I am trying to develop high performance graphics software in
C++ on an HP... Does HP realize what a bitch it is to develop in C++ without
any kind of support????

The other day SUN anounced on the net that they have a C++ 2.0 compatible
compiler available with support for C++ in yacc, vi, ctags, and dbxtool
( their window driven frontend for the debugger ). How come we don't get
to hear this from HP????

Seriously, I love this machine, but the next time I can influence a purchase
decision I will look very closely at SUN's offerings!

PLEASE DO SOMETHING!!!!!

It would be interesting to hear whether others have had similar experiences
or whether it is just me...

Sincerely

Peter Schroeder
peter@media-lab.media.mit.edu

bla@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Brad Ahlf) (10/26/89)

Peter, I will contact you by email.  I would like to make sure that your
concerns are fully and properly addressed and that all of the proper
people get involved.  I expect that you will soon feel a lot better.

If anyone else has concerns similiar to Peter's please contact me by
email and I will try to insure that all of your concerns are addressed too.

Brad Ahlf
HP Languages Technical Support
...hplabs!hpda!bla
bla%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM

daryl@hpcllla.HP.COM (Daryl Odnert) (10/27/89)

> The other day SUN anounced on the net that they have a C++ 2.0 compatible
> compiler available with support for C++ in yacc, vi, ctags, and dbxtool
> ( their window driven frontend for the debugger ). How come we don't get
> to hear this from HP????

Please note, I cannot comment on any products that may or may not be under
development at HP.  However, you may be interested to learn that a
representative from HP proposed and convened the committee to adopt
an ANSI C++ standard.  I think this shows that HP has an interest in
the C++ language.

Daryl Odnert
Hewlett-Packard California Language Lab

bla@hpcllak.HP.COM (Brad Ahlf) (10/27/89)

Peter, I will contact you by email.  I would like to make sure that your
concerns are fully and properly addressed and that all of the proper
people get involved.  I expect that you will soon feel a lot better.

If anyone else has concerns similiar to Peter's please contact me by
email and I will try to insure that all of your concerns are addressed too.

Brad Ahlf
HP Languages Technical Support
...hplabs!hpda!bla
bla%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM

P.S. This is a re-posting but from a different system.  Evidently my usual
notes system is not broadcasting right now.  So excuse any duplication.

raveling@isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (10/28/89)

In article <875@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, peter@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU
(Peter Schroeder) writes:

> However, I've had a few frustrating experiences regarding the availability
> of software development tools. ...

	It's my impression that new software is often available
	sooner on Suns, but that software quality is generally
	better on HP's for any component available on both that's
	an HP product.

	Third party software is often built for Suns first, and is
	more difficult to port to HP's.  This can be blamed on quirks
	of Sun's Unix environment as easily as on HP's Unix environment,
	and could easily change if software vendors start using more
	HP's for initial product development.

	Although I use and support HP's at ISI, I'm occasionally
	asked to help with problems, usually X11-related, on Suns.
	In addition I occasionally make and test some of my own
	software on Suns before distributing it publicly.  In other
	words my exposure to Suns is limited, but even such limited
	use shows up minor problems ranging from terminal setup to
	C compiler bugs.  The last time I helped someone trying to
	get X11 up on a Sun we stumbled through several atrocities of
	OS behavior that left rebooting as the only recourse.

	There are a few Sun tools, such as perfmon, that I'd dearly
	love to have on HP's.  In general though, given a choice
	of an HP or a Sun, I'd pick the HP.  Don't forget the others
	though -- the DECstation 3100 seems like a good platform
	except for its screwed up keyboard design.  Maybe DS3100's
	or actual MIPS machines would be worth checking out also.

----------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu

raveling@isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (10/28/89)

	P.S. to last post:

	Hopefully Sun's new products improve this, but I've never
	seen a slower X11 display server.  When I was using a
	9000/350, the Sun 4 monochrome server was about the same
	speed.  We don't have a color Sun 4, a color Solbourne 110
	was much slower than the 350.  One of our users with a
	color Sun 3 wanted to use X11 but never used the color server --
	he said it was far too slow to be usable.

	Without actually knowing about Sun's internals, but having
	seen similar situations elsewhere, I surmise that they may have
	made a key mistake in the architecture of their frame buffers.
	If this is the case they will have poured lots of blood, sweat,
	and tears into their new X11 & News servers, and this will
	help, but the architecture problem will always handicap their
	performance.

	This is more important than it may sound.  A paper by someone
	at IBM a few years ago investigated how interactive response
	time affected productivity, and found a very significant
	nonlinear relationship when response time approached and
	exceeded about 1/2 second -- slow response is magnified
	into proportionally MUCH lower productivity.

----------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu

is813cs@pyr.gatech.EDU (Cris Simpson) (10/30/89)

In article <10309@venera.isi.edu> raveling@isi.edu (Paul Raveling) writes:

>	This is more important than it may sound.  A paper by someone
>	at IBM a few years ago investigated how interactive response
>	time affected productivity, and found a very significant
>	nonlinear relationship when response time approached and
>	exceeded about 1/2 second -- slow response is magnified
>	into proportionally MUCH lower productivity.

Does anyone have this reference?  It sounds like great ammunition for the
next "Why we need new, faster machines" battle.

Thanks,
  cris

--
||   Gee, do you think it'd help if I plugged in both ends of this cable?   ||
Cris Simpson              Computer Engineer               VA Rehab R&D Center