[comp.sys.hp] HP Basic convertors

crmeyer@voodoo.ucsb.edu (11/10/89)

A gentleman I know is attempting to port a large BASIC program written on
a HP 300 (version 4.0 basic I believe) to a UN*X machine. Does anyone
know of a HP BASIC to C convertor? I'll summarize responses.
					Thanks!

oscarh@hpdml93.HP.COM (Oscar Herrera) (11/11/89)

||| A gentleman I know is attempting to port a large BASIC program written on
||| a HP 300 (version 4.0 basic I believe) to a UN*X machine. Does anyone
||| know of a HP BASIC to C convertor? I'll summarize responses.
||| 					Thanks!

IF the target environment is HP-UX THEN
	use RMBUX ( Rocky Mountain Basic under HP-UX )
ELSE
	????????
END IF

wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) (11/11/89)

In article <2966@hub.UUCP> crmeyer@voodoo.ucsb.edu writes:

> A gentleman I know is attempting to port a large BASIC program written on
> a HP 300 (version 4.0 basic I believe) to a UN*X machine. Does anyone
> know of a HP BASIC to C convertor? I'll summarize responses.
> 					Thanks!

Well, we here at Design Data would like to know about one too.  The
last time we looked for one was about a year ago and there was none to
be found, so we have started to develop our own.  If you find one, let
us know.  We dont want to re-invent the wheel.  If you dont find one,
let us know.  We might have a converter on the market in 6 months to a
year.

-wayne

Development Manager
Design Data
wayne@dsndata.uucp

p.s.

It turns out that even a trivial converter doesnt work too well
because of the way that rocky mountain basic and C differ on
converting integers to reals, passing parameters and indexing arrays.
Unless you keep track of things real well, you basically have to
convert and/or double check most things by hand any.  not fun.