[comp.sys.hp] Re-inking HP DeskJet

phil@norton.campbel.diskless ( Philip White ) (11/09/89)

/ norton:comp.sys.hp / wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) /  7:35 am  Nov  3, 1989 /
In article <1045@sumax.UUCP>, davej@sumax.UUCP (Dave Jenner) writes:
> I have seen one reference (in Simtel20 archives) to a procedure to
> re-ink HP DeskJet ink cartridges.

I don't know if these are the same carts used by the ThinkJet/QuietJet
printers (which is what I have).  I've noticed that when these carts
stop printing, the bladders are still about half-full.

Is this the way it's supposed to be?  It seems like such a waste - there
should be something that could be done.  (A co-worker suggested saving
'empty' carts, then combining 2-in-1 to create a full cart).  Any ideas?

--
	       Bruce Wehr (wehr%dptc.decnet@srlvx0.srl.ford.com)
    (...!mailrus!sharkey!fmeed1!wehr) (wehr%fmeed1.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu)

flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu (11/14/89)

In article <60001@norton.campbel.diskless>,
phil@norton.campbel.diskless (    Philip White     ) writes:

>> ... reference (in Simtel20 archives) to a procedure to
>> re-ink HP DeskJet ink cartridges.
>
> I don't know if these are the same carts used by the ThinkJet/QuietJet
> printers (which is what I have).  I've noticed that when these carts
> stop printing, the bladders are still about half-full.
>
> Is this the way it's supposed to be?  It seems like such a waste
>
> --	       Bruce Wehr (wehr%dptc.decnet@srlvx0.srl.ford.com)

1.  Not the same cartridges.  But: the Diconix (Kodak) and ThinkJet
cartridges ARE (virtually) the same -- the Diconix carts I bought as an
experiment for my TJ printer turn out to be MADE BY HP and to work as well
as HP's TJ carts in my TJ.  Perhaps the ink is formulated a tad differently (?)

2.  When my carts first stop printing nicely, the bladders are indeed still
half full; but a line or two of INTENSIFIED (is that what HP calls it?  you
know, holding that faceplate button down while and after switching the TJ
power switch ON) printing has always cleared up clogged nozzles, to the point
that the cart is only really dead when the bladder is hugging some object
within it as if it had been vacuum-evacuated.

3. Nonetheless, I too would be happy to learn of a way to refill those gizmo's.

-- fejlinton