[comp.sys.hp] 6.01 -> 7.0 Upgrade. Tape vs. Network.

dgreen@squid.cs.ucla.edu (Dan R. Greening) (11/16/89)

In article <-286539980@hpcupt1.HP.COM> ckw@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Chick Webb) writes:

>To my knowledge, which goes further back than I'd care to admit, we've
>never *required* a complete backup and restore in order to update from
>one version of HP-UX to another.  The 7.0 release is no exception, and
>it is possible to update directly from 6.5.  Regardless of that there
>may be a problem in your case, since we only support upgrading to 7.0
>from 6.5.  So, even though 7.0 will be shipping soon, it looks like
>you'll have to update all the machines to get there.

The 6.01 -> 6.2 upgrade required a complete backup/restore, because
that transition caused major structural changes in the filesystem.  (At least
that's what my HP Labs pals told me.)  Since 6.2 didn't add much functionality,
since we would lose our HP Labs Internet bind/resolve capability, and since the
tape-style system upgrade is difficult for us, it wasn't done.   We weren't
excited about doing it for 6.5 either.

Now, if you correct my assumptions and tell me that file system structure for
6.01 is equivalent to the 14-character-name file system structure in 6.5, you
will save me (or someone else) a tremendous amount of effort.  I.e., we can
do our own network-based upgrade of 6.01 -> 6.5, then apply the 7.0 network
upgrade.  (Yes, we know ... AYOR, etc.)

Here's the critical questions, stated succinctly:  If we copy all the 6.5
binaries onto a 6.01 system, will they run?  If we run /etc/convertfs, will
it correctly convert the 14 character 6.01 filesystem to a 255 character
6.5 filesystem?

If "yes" on both, we can handle the situation.  You can respond via e-mail,
if you want.

Dan Greening       | NY 914-789-7861 | 14 Foster Court
dgreen@cs.ucla.edu | CA 213-825-2266 | Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520