[comp.sys.hp] Where to get 3rd-party SCSI disks?

prewitt@concave.uucp (Mike Prewitt) (11/10/89)

In article <433@cs.columbia.edu> djd@cs.columbia.edu (Daniel Duchamp) writes:

>Can you tell me where to get (large) SCSI disks suitable for
>attachment to a 9000/370?

	We are using a Hitachi 760Mbyte SCSI disk.  The only two things you
	need to watch out for are that you will have to have a cable with a
	disk-SCSI and HP-SCSI interface on it, and you will need to write
	your own disktab entry.

		Hope that Helps.

Mike Prewitt              Engineering Operations
prewitt@convex.COM        Convex Computer Corp.
prewitt@unm-la@lanl.gov   3000 Waterview Parkway
			  Richardson, Texas   75083

manson@riker.eng.ohio-state.edu (Robert Manson) (11/10/89)

In article <433@cs.columbia.edu> djd@cs.columbia.edu (Daniel Duchamp) writes:

>Can you tell me where to get (large) SCSI disks suitable for
>attachment to a 9000/370?

Make sure that HP will support this, if you are receiving hardware support.
We attempted to obtain SCSI drives (made by HP, no less) from Artel, who
had good prices. Unfortunately we were browbeaten into not doing this
because our sales rep told us that HP would not support such a configuration.
They were HP drives on HP SCSI devices.

Interestingly enough, we're still waiting for drives from HP, even though
we ordered them several months ago...

If you find that you can use third-party drives, then I'd recommend Artel.
I can get their address, if necessary...
						Bob
Note: these are my views, not those of The Ohio State University, and my
employers have no idea that I am sending this.
-=-
Remember, kids, there's evil people out there....
bomb radar genetic Marxist NSA Uzi assassination Barbie Bush
manson@cis.ohio-state.edu

swp@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Steve Peurifoy) (11/21/89)

manson@riker.eng.ohio-state.edu (Robert Manson) writes:

> Make sure that HP will support this, if you are receiving hardware support.
> We attempted to obtain SCSI drives (made by HP, no less) from Artel, who
> had good prices. Unfortunately we were browbeaten into not doing this
> because our sales rep told us that HP would not support such a configuration.
> They were HP drives on HP SCSI devices.

> If you find that you can use third-party drives, then I'd recommend Artel.
> I can get their address, if necessary...
>						Bob

I'm looking to buy a SCSI drive and I'd like to find out more about this outfit.
What kind of prices are we talking about here?  Anybody have any experience
using a drive from Artel?  Would anybody with their address and/or phone number
please post it or email it to me?

Thanks much,

Steve Peurifoy

swp%hp-lsd@hplabs
hplabs!hp-lsd!swp

bcd@worf.eng.ohio-state.edu (Bryan Dunlap) (11/23/89)

In article <8250015@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM> swp@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Steve Peurifoy) writes:
>manson@riker.eng.ohio-state.edu (Robert Manson) writes:
>
>> If you find that you can use third-party drives, then I'd recommend Artel.
>> I can get their address, if necessary...
>>						Bob
>
>I'm looking to buy a SCSI drive and I'd like to find out more about
>this outfit.
>What kind of prices are we talking about here?  Anybody have any experience
>using a drive from Artel?  Would anybody with their address and/or
>phone number

(Bob M's out this week, so I'll answer for him).

Turns out Bob and I both had brain fade; the company wasn't Artel but
Cranel.  Artel makes fiber optic stuff.  Sorry about that.

Anyway, I checked with our people who tried to order the drives and
they tell me that a) you're outside Cranel's service area and b)
Cranel isn't allowed to sell the HP drives to an end user who will put
them on an HP.

But, there is a Value-Added Reseller who can help you.  Contact

Pinnacle Data Systems, Inc.
1350 W. Fifth Ave.
Suite 22
Columbus, OH 43212
614/487-1150

These drives are HP SCSI drives, 660 Meg.  I am told that a raw one
from Pinnacle is $3123; and one in a cabinet just like HP's is $3498
(that's for individual drives -- I assume they have quantity discounts
and such).

Be sure HP doesn't get mad at you; they *did* threaten not to support
our servers if we bought HP drives from Cranel at one point.  They
said we could buy the drives straight from HP after they did some sort
of testing; we're still waiting after several months.

I should probably disclaim things.  I am not affiliated with Pinnacle,
Cranel or HP.  I am not Bob (but I think he would have given this
answer).  My opinions hardly ever reflect those of THE Ohio State
University, and I certainly don't intend that this posting be
construed as coming from any entity but myself.

-=-
        ==BD                  System Programmer, OSU College of Eng. HP Labs
    bcd@cis.ohio-state.edu                    dunlap@mike.cis.ohio-state.edu
People of Earth:You are stupid! Stupid,stupid,stupid!-Plan 9 From Outer Space