[comp.sys.hp] Why Roman8?, Why not ISO?

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (11/29/89)

Is HP planning to support the ISO Latin-[1-3] character sets?  If so,
when?

Does anyone other than HP support Roman8?  Is there an associated
standard?

regards,
fletcher
Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred@bbn.com

andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) (12/01/89)

In article <48853@bbn.COM> fkittred@spca.bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) writes:

>Is HP planning to support the ISO Latin-[1-3] character sets?  If so,
>when?

Please be a little more specific about what you mean by "support"!  Our
newest printers and plotters do offer at least Latin 1 (although in some
cases this varies according to which font cartridge(s) you have loaded).
Or are you talking about a specific software package, or a specific
platform (computer or workstation)?

>Does anyone other than HP support Roman8?  Is there an associated
>standard?

Roman8 is an HP-internal standard.  I am not aware of any other company
who has picked it up.  We invented it long before there was an ISO 8859,
and in fact contributed it as a working document to help the formulation
of that international character set standard.

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea%hp-sdd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com (or @nosc.mil, @ucsd.edu)
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (12/01/89)

In article <2873@hp-sdd.hp.com> andrea@hpsdl114.UUCP (Andrea K. Frankel) writes:
>In article <48853@bbn.COM> fkittred@spca.bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) writes:
>>
>>Is HP planning to support the ISO Latin-[1-3] character sets?  If so,
>>when?
>
>Please be a little more specific about what you mean by "support"!  Our
>newest printers and plotters do offer at least Latin 1 (although in some
>cases this varies according to which font cartridge(s) you have loaded).
>Or are you talking about a specific software package, or a specific
>platform (computer or workstation)?

Sure, more specifically, I am not really interested in what character set HP
devices support, (we can always get our customers to use X or to buy some
other vendor's hardware ;-)).  What I am interested in is that HP-UX provide
through NLS the same ability to switch character sets, convert, collate,
shift and compare strings in latin1 that it does for roman8.  I am a reasonable
man.

>Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
>	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."

    "The heart has its reasons and seasons..."

PS. Is there a acronym clearing house at HP?  Does NLS mean Native License
Support? Network Language Server?, or what?

Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred@bbn.com

rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (12/02/89)

re: > PS. Is there a acronym clearing house at HP?

Uh, no.  We could use a codename clearinghouse too.

> Does NLS mean Native License Support? Network Language Server?, or what?

From our latest acronym masterfile:

NLS     Native Language Support, software support for various languages
NLS     Network License Server, uses NCK

This little problem is a hot topic in one of our internal notesfiles at the
moment.  We have similar problems with "GPIO" and several other TLAs and
FLAs.

The apochryphal rumor was that HP bought Apollo because Apollo was about to
sue HP for use of their trademarked abbreviation "NLS".

As it happens, HP has been using "NLS" for a lot longer than Apollo, but it
makes a cute story.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland      rjn%hpfcrjn@hplabs.HP.COM             3404 East Harmony Road
                UUCP: [hplabs|hpfcse]!hpfcla!rjn      Ft Collins CO 80525-9599

FLA - Four Letter Acronym.
TLA - Three Letter Acronym.